This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

With everyone living in quarantine, I am pretty sure we can all agree that being stuck inside of our homes is starting to have a major impact on our mental health. We had to abandon the daily routines that we were used to and are now forced to live day by day in a way we never imagined. It is a difficult time for everyone and we all have different ways of coping with situations like this. As stated by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in adults and children. Coping with stress will make you, the people you care about, and your community stronger. They mention that stress during an outbreak can include fear and worry, changes in sleep and eating patterns, worsening health problems, and increased drug usage. Right now, it is important more than ever to take the time to take care of yourself. Self-care, especially during a pandemic, is not selfish. As a matter of fact, it is a necessity. To help you get through this uncertain time, here are some ideas of ways to pamper yourself in the comfort of your own home.

Take a Free Online Course

Have you ever wished to take a fun course online but did not have the money or time? Look no further. According to Firstpost, Harvard University is offering 67 courses for free during the Coronavirus pandemic that forced countries to go into lockdown. The courses range one-twelve weeks and include subjects under programming, health and medicine, social sciences, computer science, art and design, business, humanities, and more. There is something for everyone and you do not have to worry about spending money. Plus, you have extra time on your hands. Do not pass up this opportunity. It is a once in a lifetime offer.

Paint Your Nails

Since we are not able to go and get our nails done, it is time to paint them at home. You can get as creative or basic as you want and no matter what, I bet they will turn out great. Adding a pop of color to your nails will automatically make you feel happier but also feel more put together. Pick out your favorite polish color, do a face mask, and make your own spa at home. It is time to pamper yourself.

Listen to Music

What is better than listening to your favorite music? Pull up your favorite playlist, or if you do not have one, you can search for one on Spotify and Apple Music. According to CNN, researchers at Deakin University in Victoria analyzed 1,000 interviews with randomly chosen Australian citizens to see if there was a connection between their self-reported music consumption and happiness levels. Sure enough, they found that people who actively engaged with music through dancing and attending events like concerts and musicals reported a higher level of subjective wellbeing which is the scientific way of saying happiness. If you need a quick pick-me-up, listen to some tunes and turn the volume up, get out of your seat and dance away!

Try a New Recipe

There are endless recipes that you could play around within the kitchen. Sweet, savory, a mix of both, you can make anything you want! Cooking and baking have always been a way for me to relax when I am stressed out and gives me time to just slow down in a crazy world. As you have probably seen on social media over the course of the past few weeks, people have been baking an absurd amount of banana bread, but what is wrong with that? Bake away! Below is a video produced by Tasty which gives some baking inspiration to do while in quarantine.

Clean and Organize

I hate cleaning and organizing but when I am anxious and having a rough time, it is one of a few methods that help me cope. According to Very Well Mind, you should organize your living environment for a few reasons. Clutter causes stress, soothing surroundings are nurturing, the organization saves time, money, and other resources, and order may bring more good things. Sitting in a cluttered space can instantly cause stress, so by decluttering and cleaning everything from top to bottom, you are getting rid of a mess that is holding you back. You will feel more relaxed and calmer in a tidy home. Cleaning does not have to be an all-day activity. You could organize your desk and other small projects for it to be an effective stress management tool.

Meditate

Many studies have been conducted to prove whether mediation boosts happiness and they have shown to boost the levels of happiness for individuals immensely. According to Action for Happiness, scientific research shows that meditation has many benefits for our well-being, including increasing our ability to withstand stress, making us feel more rested, helping to relieve and reduce pain, lowering our blood pressure, and increasing our immunity. However, the benefits do not stop there. It also improves our ability to focus, our level of alertness, our memory, and our academic performance and creativity. This is an activity to help you calm your mind and body down and spend time connecting with yourself. Below you will find a 10-minute meditation video that will help with anxiety if you are feeling anxious during this difficult time.

Exercise 

Keeping yourself and mind active is extremely important right now. Many of us have spent the majority of our time laying around the house in our pajamas, not giving a care what we look like. We have also been binge eating most of the food in the fridge and cabinets. We are all going to come out of this pandemic with the COVID 15, am I right? According to Happify, “physically active people are happier and more satisfied with their lives. But there’s more to it than that: Exercise increases endorphins and other feel-good brain chemicals. It reduces levels of the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline in the body. It’s a proven remedy for both depression and anxiety”. To help you get out from your cozy blanket on the couch below is a three-minute, intense workout that will get you moving and active. Try your best to keep up!

Get Creative

I am a creative person and love sitting down to focus on some good arts and crafts. During my time in quarantine, I have been teaching myself how to do some basic graphic art pieces on my iPad and recently started attempting to repaint celebrities. I did my first one on the wonderful Ariana Grande, which you can see below. You can also get out whatever physical supplies you have like paints, glitter, markers, sketchbooks, and canvas! The world is your canvas, you could even go outside to get some fresh air and chalk on your driveaway or a sidewalk.

Hi, I'm Marly! I am a senior at West Chester University, majoring in English (Writings Track) with a concentration in Digital Writing and Rhetoric. In my free time I love to practice self care, which includes: listening to my favorite music, cooking/baking, journaling, and (of course!) obsessing over my dogs.
Contributor account.