5 Podcasts to Listen to on Your Morning Commute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

As both an avid podcast listener and podcast host myself, I like to believe I have some good recs to share. I started my podcast Entertain Us last year with one of my best friends. Every week, we chat for an hour about everything pop culture and entertainment. To me, podcasts are like books – there is one for everyone, you just need to find one that interests you. 

The fall semester is quickly approaching, and I need to start preparing. This is the time where people begin to reestablish a solid schedule and get back to the grind. Something that helps me stay on track with my schoolwork and keeps me grounded is listening to podcasts! I tend to listen to my podcasts on long drives and on my HGWs around my neighborhood.

I even transform my monotonous chores, like laundry, into “me time” by popping on my headphones and blocking out the stress of homework and deadlines. In order for me to do that, I do not like to listen to anything that will stress me out more, so you will not find any true crime podcasts on this list!

If you’re getting ready for a HGW or have a long drive ahead of you, you’ve come to the right place. Here are 5 podcast recommendations from the podcast aficionado herself. 

1. Growing With The Flow – Nayna Florence

This wellness and lifestyle pod is hosted by Nayna Florence, an English 20-something navigating her life post-grad. Her light and soothing voice makes for an easy listen in with your morning coffee. I discovered this show during the pandemic and I can honestly say that Nayna has guided me through the stress that comes with high school, college applications, and transition to living away from home and thoughts on getting my masters.

Moreso, she offers wonderful advice on topics like relationships, and mental health. Nayna’s summer travels have sparked some of her latest episodes and I have been living vicariously through her. I cannot wait to see what she does next. 

IG: @growingwiththeflow_podcast

1. Good Influences – Matt King, Erin Gilfoy, Carly Incontro, Mike Sheffer

This comedy podcast is a high energy conversational show that feels like you are hanging out with your best friends. What I like about a show with four hosts is that you get a lot of different opinions which makes for an entertaining listen. They vary in topics, ranging from “Am I The A-Hole?” to guilty pleasures to holiday episodes. The upbeat and lively conversation is perfect for a quick run to the store or even to have as background noise while cooking. So far, I have not heard an episode that has not made me laugh. Highly recommend it.

IG: @goodinfluencespod

1. I’ll Read What She’s Reading – Reggie Ann, Mikayla Moorhouse, Kennedy Larson

This pod is perfect for all of my BookTok girls; these three friends host a monthly book club. They cover everything from Emily Henry romances to Sarah J. Maas fantasies to Mary Kubica mysteries. In addition to those monthly discussions, the hosts also have episodes with themes like “smash or pass” with book characters, “one-star reviews”, etc. What is great about this book podcast in particular is that they are very keen to interact with their listeners. In addition to posting polls and Q&As on their Instagram page, they even have the option for audience members to leave a voicemail about the book of the month to be included in the episode. I try to read along with them every month but when I can’t, I make sure to add their recs to my TBR.

IG: @whatshesreadingpod

1. High Low with EmRata – Emily Ratajowski

Though I have not personally listened to this pod, I have seen clips on Tik Tok and have heard rave reviews. The world-renowned supermodel talks all things pop culture, while occasionally hosting celebrity guests like Maddie Ziegler, Winnie Harlow, and even fashion legend Donatella Versace. My friend tells me she loves the stories Emily has to share from her impressive and hectic life; the life that has gifted her a profound sense of perspective. Another fun listen!

IG: @emrata

1. Drama Queens – Bethany Joy Lenz, Sophia Bush, Hilary Burton

This episode guide podcast is perfect for any TV fan – but a background of One Tree Hill would help… a lot. Their motto is “Relive it, Relove it, Rewatch it”, and that is exactly what they do. The three hosts of this show all starred on the early 2000s show and come together every week to dissect an episode. While I also have not listened to this show, I know some diehard fans who swear by it. There is a similar pod hosted by Gilmore Girls star Scott Patterson called I Am All In – which is more up my alley. If these two aren’t for you I am sure you can dig around Spotify for an episode guide for your favorite TV show. 

IG: @dramaqueensoth 

There you have it – my ultimate podcast guide! So go forth and conquer this fall with your headphones on and your mind cleared. But I could not end this article without another shameless plug for my pod, Entertain Us, so be sure to give us a listen.

IG: @entertainuspod

XO, Christina

Christina Silvestri is a contributing writer at Her Campus’s Fairfield Chapter. Her specialties lie in entertainment, mental health, and Fairfield recommendations. Christina is a current junior at Fairfield University. She is an English major with a concentration in English Studies with minors in Editing & Publishing and Italian. This summer, Christina interned at The McClatchy Company where she worked closely with the audio team on projects relating to politics, athletics, and true crime. Her day to day responsibilities included editing podcasts, researching guests, designing social media content, and additional journalistic tasks. In addition to writing, Christina enjoys reading, listening to podcasts, and doing just about anything with her friends; from watching movies to morning coffee runs. You will often find her trying out new hobbies like watercolor painting and knitting to keep her hands busy while she rewatches Gilmore Girls for the hundredth time. Christina also has an entertainment podcast fittingly called Entertain Us, which is available on Spotify.