Five romance books to read this summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Let’s talk about 5 of my favorite romance books that are a perfect summer read! I know a lot of people feel like there is little to no time to read with our busy college schedules, which is why summer is a perfect time to catch up on independent reading. If you don’t know me, I am a hopeless romantic and absolutely love to read the most juicy romance books. SO let’s talk about these books, I’ve hyped up. TRUST ME they are WORTH the hype.

1. Every Summer After by Carley Fortune

Once I picked this book up I could not put it down, it was really that GOOD. This is a story that starts and immediately picks up, there is always something happening and the romance is sooo juicy. My favorite part about this book is that everything flowed together well. Fortune does an amazing job of putting the most interesting series of events together. Every word was in the right place at the right time (if you know what I mean). The romance scenes… one word, beautiful. I loved the relationship between the protagonist and her lover, it’s truly a rollercoaster but all worthwhile. I promise Every Summer After is worth a read! You won’t regret it.

1. Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

I’m sure all of us have either read or heard of Colleen Hoover. Miss girl has been on the New York Times bestseller list for all of 2022 and so far all of 2023. If you have never read a Colleen Hoover book, I highly recommend Hopeless. I couldn’t put this book down, there was always something happening that caught my attention that I wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen next. This is an incredibly juicy book, with a major plot twist and a crazy series of events that one would never expect to see when starting the novel. If you want a jaw dropping and fascinating read, this is the book for you! Definitely recommend reading this if you want a mind blowing novel to read when you’re bored. 

1. Book Lovers by Emily Henry

This novel by Emily Henry is so incredibly well written it is insane. This book was truly a work of art in my eyes. This book is PERFECT, the characters, the chemistry, the emotions, the romance??? Yeah 10/10 so so good. I really need to read more Emily Henry books(something I realized while writing this lol).  I highly recommend picking this novel up to read during your summer vacation! Trust me, you won’t be able to put this book down. 

1. It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

If you have never heard of or read this book, this is the one for YOU! I absolutely adored reading this book, it is such an easy read but extremely powerful. Although there are some extremely sensitive topics discussed that will break your heart and make you cry but you will want to keep reading and reading. Wanting to know what happens next.  The romance, the emotions, the careful wording of each scene, honestly perfection in my eyes. There is a lot of love/hate with this Colleen Hoover book, but to me it was truly spectacular. If you’re going to start reading Colleen Hoover, either start with this book or Hopeless– which I mentioned above. This is an amazing book and would be an even better summer read! It flows so well, which makes it a super easy book to read at the beach or by the pool, or really wherever you are.

1. Love and Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch

ADORABLE. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think of this novel. Such a cute and summery romance! I wanted to be Lina, the protagonist, the entire time reading this. The setting really adds a lot, I lovedddd that it takes place in Italy. This added so much to the story and made it so much more interesting! There are a lot of cute romance scenes but there is so much plot outside of the romance as well. The main character goes on a journey to find out more about her mom, and discovers so much… just wait! Overall a super cute and intriguing story. Check this out for an easy summer read:)

XO Luiza

Luiza Sperling

Fairfield '24

Luiza Sperling is a content writer for Her Campus’s Fairfield University chapter. She contributed by pitching new article ideas for mental health, reading, and fitness. She also includes recommendations for the Fairfield area. She is a Senior at Fairfield University majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing with minors in Judaic Studies and Editing and publishing. This summer, Luiza studied abroad in Greece for four weeks, taking a travel writing course focusing on writing from a traveler’s perspective, not in a touristic way. She wrote about her experiences with food, entertainment, and culture in the various cities she visited in Greece. In addition to writing, Luiza enjoys reading romance novels, watching movies, going for walks, and spending time with friends and family. You will learn more about Luiza as she writes about what she loves: books, mental health, and pop culture. She is obsessed with music, specifically Brazilian- Funk and rom-com movies.