Wellness > Health

I Did Yoga Every Day for a Month, and This is What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have been regular with my meditation practice for the last year, at least. However, a few months ago, I was completely distracted and for some reason, the thing that allowed me to calm down and focus made me more anxious and jittery than ever. So, I felt like I had to do something. My stress began as a healthy motivating factor but eventually got so bad last month that I could not get myself to sleep before 5 a.m. without overthinking everything — especially my future, internship, and career. For someone who would sleep for 10 hours every night uninterrupted, the stress had really gotten out of hand. 

After speaking to a doctor and listening to her advice, I decided to try yoga. Now, although my mother had been telling me to start practicing yoga regularly for its long-term benefits to both physical and mental health, I always brushed it off because, to me, if I didn’t break a sweat while doing it, it can’t be considered a workout — but boy, was I wrong! 

I began a 30-day challenge by Yoga with Adriane on YouTube, not knowing what to expect or whether I would even go through with it for a whole month. While I did find it a tad bit slow initially, day 7 of the challenge was when my perception of yoga changed. My abs were actually sore from the practices! I found myself falling asleep with more ease and I felt rejuvenated in the morning, too — a time when I would usually feel sleepy and sluggish before. 

Woman doing yoga meditation on brown parquet flooring
Photo by Jared Rice from Unsplash

Fast forward to day 16 of the challenge, I felt like I had more energy through my day, which made me more productive than before. My day now felt incomplete without a 20-minute practice — who would’ve thought! Now, after having completed the challenge (and a good one at that), I notice that my strength during my functional training and Pilates routines has increased, thanks to those crazy poses that worked my core. I feel less bloated and more motivated to eat clean and stay active — mind and body. 

So, if you’re going through something similar or just looking for a way to move your muscles and exercise your mind, yoga could be your answer – it definitely was mine!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

My name is Anoushka. I am a Senior at Boston University, studying Journalism and Advertising. I am from Mumbai, India, the land of spices, culture, and colour. I love singing and basically anything that screams music. When I'm not writing or belting the notes to my favourite Adele song, I enjoy trying new foods (cooking and eating, of course), travelling around the globe, and looking for new ingredients to add to my superfood stash.