This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Let’s be honest: mornings can be rough. Especially with an early class or a busy day or week stretching out ahead of you. College is not always easy, and neither is adulting, which is why it’s important to treat yourself or indulge in a pick-me-up every so often.

According to PsychCentral.com, “Studies show that people who got a little treat, in the form of receiving a surprise gift or watching a funny video, gained self-control.”

So, if you really think about it, that jazzed-up Starbucks drink you got yourself, or the fun online order you have coming in the mail, can actually help you create a more positive mindset in general and motivate you to take on the difficult tasks of each day.

The article goes on to call treating yourself a “Secret of Adulthood” saying, “If I give more to myself, I can ask more from myself.”

Yes, treating yourself to something is an adulting hack and can motivate you to do more, but this reasoning could also feed into toxic productivity. While it can be motivating to reward yourself for working hard and making achievements, it’s just as important to reward and take care of yourself for doing the best that you can at the moment.

But what are the best ways to treat yourself? This is the fun part!

Some of my personal favorites are trips to the grocery store to pick up favorite snacks, stopping by Starbucks for a little drink, retail therapy, or a nice meal out.

Unfortunately, treating yourself in these ways can quickly break the bank, so I find it best to alternate between retail-oriented and mindset-balancing self-care activities.

Equally beneficial (and much less expensive) options include taking a few extra minutes to get ready in the morning, blocking out time to be alone and watch TV, going for a walk while listening to your favorite podcast or calling a friend or family member, pursuing a relaxing hobby, or a good scroll through Pinterest.

Finding moments of relaxation or happiness with any act of self-care can help foster a stronger sense of self and increase energy to take on daily life. Routines can be tiring, draining, and monotonous, which is why I believe everyone should strive to prioritize incorporating small acts of self-care into their daily schedules.

Take now as an opportunity to #treatyoself in some way!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Kate Rekas is a freshman on the writing team at the Her Campus Boston University Chapter. She was a writer and editor on her high school's newspaper "The Spectrum." She also is a member of the multimedia team on "The Daily Free Press," Boston University's independent and student run newspaper. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Kate is a member of the Boston University Figure Skating Team, and is still exploring different majors to pursue. When not studying or skating, Kate is exploring the city of Boston, and seeking out as many sunset watching opportunities as possible!