This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

College life, with its relentless assignments and looming deadlines, often prompts students to adopt momentarily effective coping mechanisms that may hinder genuine personal growth in the long run. 

Amid the myriad stressors, a potential antidote emerges: meditation. Instead of fighting the urge to drown yourself in tasks, taking a 5-20 minute meditation break during moments of heightened anxiety may offer a more sustainable approach to stress management.

I get it. The mere mention of “meditation” might have some readers rolling their eyes. It seems people are wary of practices that promise a better life, even though, deep down, we all crave happiness and peace. So, why the resistance to something that could genuinely transform our well-being?

We often hear about starting small when building habits and that advice holds merit. However, I want to toss a different idea into the mix: consider a day-long meditation retreat.

Yes, it sounds counterintuitive to the “start small” mantra, but sometimes going big might be the unconventional solution needed to break free from a cycle of stress.

Having personally attended two six-hour-long meditation retreats, I can attest to their transformative impact. While meditation is undoubtedly a skill that develops over time, the beauty lies in its accessibility — anyone can do it. There’s no right or wrong way, and the pressure to master the practice evaporates once you embrace the idea that it’s an ongoing journey, not a destination.

One common stumbling block for many is the expectation of instant results. If a practice doesn’t yield immediate changes, we tend to dismiss it. This is precisely why diving headfirst into an intensive meditation experience, like a day-long retreat, might be a game-changer. Post-retreat, you’ll likely feel a difference — mentally rejuvenated, with a quieter and calmer mind.

After experiencing the immediate effects of a day-long retreat, the appeal of meditation becomes much clearer. The ephemeral exhaustion transforms into a sense of accomplishment, leaving you with a quiet mind and a lingering serenity. Suddenly, the idea of integrating meditation into your daily life doesn’t seem daunting. It becomes an attractive prospect.

Concerned about the logistics or the cost? Fear not! Meditation centers are scattered worldwide, often with student-friendly prices. The communal aspect of these centers creates a motivating environment. You’re not in it alone.

Beyond the mental stillness achieved during meditation, there’s an added bonus: a sense of personal pride. Successfully completing a day-long retreat becomes a badge of honor, a tangible accomplishment that could kickstart a regular meditation practice.

Let’s debunk a myth: meditation shouldn’t be stressful. It’s not bound by strict guidelines. While the classic seated meditation in a quiet space is wonderful, you can infuse mindfulness into your daily activities. Whether you’re folding laundry, savoring a meal, washing dishes, or strolling to class, each can become a meditative experience. The key is staying mindful and focusing on your breath.

By blending the accessibility of short breaks with the immersive experience of a day-long retreat, individuals can find a practical approach to weaving meditation into the fabric of a hectic college life.

Consider taking a moment to pause, breathe, and explore the surprisingly beneficial world of meditation.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! My name is Sanna Lexhed and I am currently a sophomore at Boston University. I joined HerCampus in this fall and have absolutely been loving it! The community it brings of creative and like-minded people is so wonderful.