This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

After the months-long quarantine, most young adults, including us college students, feel restless and stuck when we are at home. For some, the upcoming extended winter break is extremely daunting. Having to spend another two months at home and away from college friends is difficult after being in quarantine for multiple months earlier this year. Despite this, there are ways to stay positive and not fall into a “rut.” 

Have a schedule. 

During quarantine, it seemed as if every day was spent sitting in bed or sitting on the couch watching Netflix or making TikToks. I don’t know about anyone else, but I slept late in the mornings after staying up late watching TikToks. One of the best ways to change that is by having a schedule. Determine a certain time to wake up in the morning, and only allow yourself a specific number of hours that you can watch tv. Try to fill your day with other activities or hobbies.  

Take up a new hobby. 

Doing something different from your typical activities is one of the best ways to stay entertained. Personally, I fell in love with reading again over quarantine. Reading gave me something to do during those long days at home. Other hobbies could include: cooking/baking, drawing, running, biking, etc. 

Start job hunting. 

With more businesses opening up, many are likely looking for help after the hit from quarantine. Getting a job is a great way to fill up your days and make money. As college students, it often feels like we are spending money we don’t have. An inflow of money makes it easier to spend on yourself and on friends/family during the holiday season. 

Another thing to do would be to start looking into and applying for summer internships. Many companies post their summer internships quite early. Without the distraction of schoolwork, it is easier to focus your full attention on an internship search. If you’re not planning on getting an internship this summer, start hunting for other job options. It’s never too early!

Stay in contact with your friends.

Arguably one of the hardest parts of quarantine was not being able to hang out with friends. Since we may not be able to hang out with friends, whether that be due to COVID or to distance, texting and calling have become very important. Talking to friends during this extended winter break will break up all the time at home and keep those connections strong. 

Get good sleep. 

When stuck in quarantine, it can be hard to go to bed at normal hours. The pull of video games, TikTok, and Netflix can be really strong the later it gets. However, it is extremely important for one’s mental and physical health to get plenty of sleep each night. 

During this winter break, it is important to keep tabs on yourself. Take note of what makes you happy and do more of that. I hope everyone has a safe, healthy, and fun winter break and holiday season! 

My name is Trianna Skourides and I am a third year student at Bentley University. I am pursuing a Bachelors in Science for Accountancy with a minor in Computer Information Systems. I have always had a love for reading and can appreciate writing. I decided to become involved with Her Campus to begin writing in a more casual and enjoyable way.
Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!