How You Can De-stress from Studying and Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

We all know with finals week quickly approaching, all of our essays, projects, and tests are keeping us pretty busy and stressed. On top of studying for finals, we’re all trying to stay on top of that class work as well. Take some time for yourself to de-stress from all that you have to do. Here are some ways you can do that.

1. Do some yoga.

Yoga is a mind-body practice that combines physical poses, controlled breathing, meditation and relaxation.

2. Take a snack break.

You can eat whatever makes you happy, though eating healthy snacks/whole foods are probably the better choices because they restore balance and reduce the effects of stress on your body.

3. Get some exercise.

Moving around will help relieve stress by releasing endorphins. Dance, run, swim, stretch or do whatever else will help you release those endorphins

.

4. Get a good night’s sleep.

Stress and sleep don’t mix well because stress keeps you up. To help relieve stress before bed, try relaxing yourself with different techniques like breathing, stretching, etc. 7-8 hours of sleep is recommended and to ge that proper rest, set an alarm reminding you to go to bed.

5. Just breathe.

Take a moment to take some deep breaths. By slowing down your heart rate and lowering your blood pressure, breathing relieves stress.

6. Laugh out loud.

Laughing out loud will lighten the load mentally, but also it lowers cortisol (body’s stress hormone), and boosts your brain’s endorphins.

7. Listen to some music.

Studies show listening to soothing music can lower blood pressure, heart rate, and anxiety. Or you can listen to more upbeat tunes and blow off steam.

8. Write out your day.

In a notebook, on a piece of paper or post-it note, writing out your day may really help you. Seeing what you have to do – written out – and being able to cross it off a list is a great feeling. I guarantee it!

9. Be grateful.

Like writing out a to-do list, write down what you’re grateful for everyday. Keep a gratitude journal to help you remember all the things that are good in your life. Being grateful cancels out negative thoughts and worries.

Leah Himes

Xavier '19

Leah Himes is a senior English major with psychology and writing minors. She is from Cincinnati, Ohio. When she is not working on HCXU stuff, she is hanging with friends, listening to music, working at Starbucks or eating mac n' cheese in her slippers on the couch.