jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

6 Reasons to Try Yoga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As college students, we all experience our fair share of stress. Going to class, keeping up with homework, jobs, friends, and clubs – college can be super stressful! Between managing all these different obligations, it can be hard to find time to focus on yourself. That’s where yoga comes in!

Once 2018 rolled around, I decided to start practicing yoga. Ever since I started, I feel more in control of myself and my emotions. I’m calmer, more motivated, and much healthier! Here are 6 reasons why I think everyone should give yoga a try:

1. Practicing Self-Care

We all know how important it is to treat yourself. Whether that means going out with your friends, spending a night in with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s, or finally using that face mask you bought at CVS impulsively. But, self-care can also involve exercising. *GASP* Yes, I said it. I enjoy exercise. I used to play sports (okay a sport) in high school, so ever since making the transition to college, I’ve missed working out every day. Fortunately, I’ve recently fallen in love with yoga. Since starting yoga, I’ve learned how to better appreciate my mind, body, and surroundings because yoga is not just about your physical being. It involves taking care of all parts of you.

2. Reducing Anxiety

As college students, we all get stressed from time to time. I actually have severe anxiety, and a lot of other people do too. Yoga involves controlling your breathing to successfully work through many poses, which is great for relieving stress and anxiety. Actually, any type of exercise releases a ton of endorphins (those feel good hormones), but I’ve found that yoga is the most successful workout when it comes to relaxation. So next time you’re feeling stressed out about exams, grab your mat, and Gogle some quick 5-minute yoga sessions. You can thank me later.

3. Challenging, but Not Too Hard

Another great thing about yoga is the fact that it’s not hard! Okay… that’s a bit of a stretch. It can be super challenging sometimes. If you enjoy a less-intense work-out that still gets your heart pumping and your sweat on, then yoga’s perfect for you. Even if you prefer more fast-paced, intense bursts of exercise– yoga’s perfect for you! There’s such a wide variety of yoga workouts, that it’s almost impossible not to find one that you love.

4. Rewarding Physically, Mentally, and Emotionally

As with all workouts, yoga is great for your physique. If you’re looking to tone up your arms, abs, legs, you name it – try yoga! Yoga is also great for focusing. If your thoughts are racing or you just can’t find the motivation to start that paper due at midnight, try some yoga to get your mind focused on the task ahead! Yoga also helps manage emotions. Whether you’re feeling heartbroken or stressed– yoga can fix that! Yoga promotes an all-around healthy lifestyle.  

5. Anybody, Anytime, Anywhere!

One of the biggest reasons I never thought I would do yoga is because I never thought I had the “yoga body”. You know… the super toned, flexible, yoga body. I’ve since learned that every body is a yoga body. Yoga’s also super convenient. You don’t need to trek across campus to the gym or pay for a ridiculously pricey membership. Yoga can be done anytime and anywhere! I literally once did yoga on my bedroom floor at 3 am.

6. It’s FREE!!!

Just put on some athletic clothes, roll out a mat, search a yoga video on Youtube, and you’re good to go. If you don’t own athletic clothes, wear your pajamas! Don’t own a mat? Use a towel! Practicing yoga is not only good for your mind and body but it’s great for your wallet too.

If any of you are interested in yoga, here are some of my go-to yoga resources!

The Nike+ app – it’s free on the app store and offers a great selection of beginner-advanced yoga sessions, as well as some other exercises including strength and cardio training.

The Yoga with Adriene Youtube channel – she’s amazing, so encouraging, and has countless videos and playlists ranging from “Yoga for Beginners” to “Yoga for Weight loss” and even “Yoga for a Broken Heart”.

Stay flexible Collegiettes!

Aubrey Hamrick

Winthrop '20

Aubrey is an English major at Winthrop University. She loves coffee, true-crime documentaries, and bookstores. She's a vegetarian and a feminist.  "Intersectional feminism is the only feminism" IG @aubreydh Twitter @aubreydh12