This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Finishing midterms or dredging through the remainder of the semester can take a serious toll on your mind, body and sense of motivation. This list is designed to help make life a little easier. 

1. Make Your Bed Every Morning 

Yes, this can be tedious, but it definitely pays off in the long run. I started doing this at the beginning of the school year and have definitely noticed its effect on my morning routine. I find it easier to get going and start my day: I am also way less likely to crawl back in if all my blankets and pillows are already stacked on top. Plus, nothing feels better than getting into a pre-made bed after a long day (it also keeps spiders at bay). 

2. Commit to a Fitness Routine 

This doesn’t have to be a major commitment to look like The Rock by the end of the month. Start with something small: go for a brisk walk/run, go to the gym, take a dance class. Get moving. As you get more comfortable, increase the frequency. Sweating can suck, but the endorphins that get released afterward make you feel pretty amazing. Make your fitness time yours: let your mind wander, listen to something to motivate you or take a friend. Make it fun! 

3. Explore Nature

Try to get outside at some point every day. Try to walk from your classes outdoors opposed to in or go to Waterloo Park. You could explore the Kitchener-Waterloo region and go for a hike or even try a winter market. Just take some time to look at the trees and breathe in the cool air. 

4. Keep a Journal and/or Agenda

There is nothing more satisfying than a good ol’ “Brain Dump.” Keep a journal or a spot in your agenda where you can write everything and anything down. The good, the bad, the ugly — it’s all acceptable. There is nothing more cathartic and cleansing then placing the swirling thoughts from your head onto paper. Looking at them also tends to make things less overwhelming. Scheduling is also a good way to do this. You’ll keep your mind from racing and be more likely to keep on top of things. 

5. Try Drinking Tea

However you drink it, there is something so soothing about drinking a nice cuppa (there’s a reason Britain practically runs on it; consider the “Keep Calm and Carry On” motto). Even the process of making tea can seem cathartic! Take the time to add it to one of your daily rituals/routines. Looking for something to try? Veritas sells a lovely herbal blend called “CTRL-ALT-DELETE” by Pluck Teas! 

6. Take a Mental Health Day 

If all else fails and you still feel crappy, that’s OK too. Take time for yourself. Watch that Netflix series, have a good cry, gorge on pizza or do whatever brings you comfort! You’re human and not expected to be perfect all the time. Have a pause, reset and you’ll be ready in the morning. You can do it! 

G J

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Grace is a twenty-something fourth-year majoring in History and Research Specialization. She drinks way too much coffee, has a passion for old books and movies.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.