kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Living a Long, Happy and Active Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

From “I am going to start eating healthy” to “I should probably be eating more veggies and fruits” to “I will start Monday but today I’ll allow myself this delicious bacon cheese burger with medium fries,” we have all struggled with trying to be better about our health. For some of us, eating healthy is either too expensive or it requires too much effort. I am not promoting weight loss at all. Eating healthy is much more than a couple of pounds. Eating healthy means fueling your body with the nutrition it needs to live a long happy active life. This applies to so many aspects of life. We feed our brain knowledge so we get a career, we make sure we have top technology so we can stay connected to the ones we love and we even invest in others. Why not do the same for your body?

It can be overwhelming and confusing when it comes to the things you should eat and not eat. “How much of it? What oils can I use? Do I even use oil? But wait, oil is fat? Oh, no!” Yes, it can be hard to eat healthy. With the right mindset, attitude and willingness to learn, it’s possible!

Have a strong why

Why did you decide that eating healthy is important to you? Why does it matter to you?

Be kind to yourself

Eating healthy is not easy. It requires discipline and dedication. It’s a long steady process. It will take time to condition your mind and body. If you ate something you shouldn’t have or you’re still cooking with a lot of oil and having a lot of carbohydrates: It’s okay, relax and breathe. With time, you will learn how to make healthy meals you really like. 

Do it for you

Your life partner, your mother or even your best friend should not the reason you start eating healthy. Do it for you. For your health. To feel good, to look good and to be confident.

A Few Quidelines to Eating Healthy

Protein

Chicken, salmon, tuna, lean red meats and turkey breast.

Best Cooked: Steamed, boiled or add a lot of veggies and herbs and toss it in the oven. You will have to try a different couple of recipes in till you find the best and most efficient way to cook your protein.

Vegetables

Pick colorful vegetables. You can never eat to many vegetables! Eat all you want as long as it’s not cooked with oils.

Best Cooked: Raw, steamed or toss them in the oven with a little bit of water at the bottom. You can cook them in light oil or add oil after they are cooked.

Carbohydrates

Eating carbs is important. They fuel our body and brain. Having a good balance between protein and carbohydrates is key to healthy eating.

Brown rice, wheat pasta, black beans, white rice, sweet potatoes, lentils and quinoa.

Same cooking method as vegetables applies.

Fats

Coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, almonds (also a source of protein), sunflower seeds, canola oil, flaxseed oil, and balsamic vinaigrette.

Fruits

Eat more acidic fruits, nothing that spikes your blood sugar levels.

Berries, orange, grapes (green), green apple, canned peaches, banana (if skin is greenish).

Portion size varies by person and other factors.

Fluids

WATER! Lots of water. Start with 8 cups a day. Then add one cup every week. The more active your life is, the more water you should be drinking. An alternative is green tea, it’s very beneficial and also delicious. Try to stay away from sugary drinks.

When it comes to making lifestyle changes, keep in mind it’s a process and its okay not to know it all at first. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

Below I have included links that can help you.

https://www.hhs.gov/fitness/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/

https://www.choosemyplate.gov/make-small-changes

Transforming a new you.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor