This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Adapting to a college lifestyle can seem intimidating for many university students. Knowing what to do and who to turn to can help put your mind at ease for one of the greatest chapters in your life.

Establish good self-care

If you come up with a solid plan, you’re most likely to follow through on your intentions. Start with simple goals: getting enough sleep each night, eating three meals a day, exercising whenever you can, taking a long relaxing bath, or applying a sheet masks. Sleeping is the most important point — it will greatly help you retain more information when you study. Lack of sleep heavily affects your learning and can bring about feelings of anxiety or depression.

Get accustomed to campus life

Joining clubs that you have an interest in will introduce you to like-minded individuals. By meeting new people with similar interests as you, you already have a topic of conversation to start off with. Clubs help you gain access to new friends, as well as potential job opportunities for your future.

Keep in mind that procrastination can lead to anxiety and stress

Set a calendar to keep up with your upcoming assignments so you can see when everything is due. By breaking your work up into manageable sections, you’ll be more proactive in completing your assignments so you can clear your schedule for free time. Procrastinating can be a dangerous cycle to get into; in order to stop it, try asking a friend to hold you accountable to get your work completed.

Be kind to yourself

Positive self-talk is so important in managing stress and anxiety. By being mindful of your thoughts and reassuring yourself, you’ll notice an increase in your self-esteem. Find some time each day to be kind to yourself, whether in passing or when you need to hear it the most.  

It’s okay to not be okay. Hopefully, with these tips, you’ll feel calmer and more in control of your mental health.

Skyler Shepard is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida. She's a Print/Digital Journalism Major with an Asian Studies Minor. She's someone especially interested in foreign affairs and hopes to work overseas after graduation.
UCF Contributor