stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

How to Finally Make Working Out a Priority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

As college students, we know that life can get really hectic. That may even be an understatement. Between classes, homework, assignments, exams, maintaining a social life and trying to fit in some sleep, fitness often gets put on the back burner.

But why should you start making exercise a priority? Well not only can it improve your overall health, well-being and confidence in the short-term, exercise has been proven to boost students’ grades! One study compared a group of students who did twenty minutes of aerobic exercise with a group who did not, and they found that the active students scored higher than the others.

Image Source

Here are my best tips for making working out a priority and fitting it into your busy schedule:

1. Stop the excuses

People come up with excuses time and time again. Of course, there are some legitimate reasons not to work out. Perhaps you are sick, extremely sore and need a rest day or perhaps you are on vacation. As we know consistency is important in maintaining a workout routine, so hop right back on the workout wagon after your illness, etc.

Try not to use the excuse “I don’t have the time to work out.” If you make it a priority, you WILL make the time. Find the days where you have a bit of free time and do some form of exercise on those days.

2. Scheduling is your best friend

What I like to do is plan out my week around my classes, extra events, library time and hanging out with friends. Then I see which days I have pre-planned fitness activities. For example, Mondays I usually go to yoga on campus, and Thursdays I go to Fitness Club. Finally, I look at the days where I don’t have anything planned fitness-wise and see where I can fit in an hour at the gym. Whichever day looks the busiest, I make my rest day. For the other days, let’s say, for example, Tuesday and Friday, I try to do one cardio-based day and at least one strength workout.

3. Realize that a little bit is better than nothing

Trust me, you do not have to spend an hour and a half in the gym every day to get results. Us busy college gals do not have time for that! If 20-30 minutes is all you can squeeze in one day, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. I usually aim to work out four to five times a week, 45 minutes to an hour each session, but it definitely varies.

4. Keep yourself accountable and motivated

We have all tried to start a workout routine and then fallen off the bandwagon. Accountability and motivation are the keys elements to start making workout routines. Find a gym buddy who will help make working out more fun or simply keep a log of your workouts. To stay motivated, remind yourself of your short and long-term health and fitness goals.

5. Believe in yourself!

Working out is as much a mental game as it is physical. You have to believe that you will get to your goal fitness level. If you have confidence in yourself, your goals will follow. Try to read positive mantras or quotes for inspiration to help motivate you.

Image Source

Thumbnail Image Source

Tara Campbell is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. She studied Health Studies/Health Sciences during her time at Siena.