Style > Beauty

5 Mindfulness Tips to Promote Inner Beauty that Will Leave You Feeling Amazing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Whether it’s a stressful week of classes, a breakup or a rough patch in taking care of yourself mentally; sometimes you just need to take a breather and bring yourself back to the moment. Without feeling amazing on the inside, it can be truly difficult to express yourself the way you want to on the outside. Luckily, there are many tips and tricks you can use to learn the ways of mindfulness. A simple way to learn to accept yourself.

1. Meditation (no, you don’t have to be a monk)

Meditating does not have to be intimidating and serious; it can be as simple as taking five minutes out of your day, and it can be done with your phone. My favorite app to use is Sanvello, which is available on the App Store and Google Play. Sanvello provides guided meditations, and there are even specific meditations: social situations, school stress, public speaking, self compassion, negative thoughts and quieting the inner critic are a few of my favorites. All you have to do is put in headphones, find a comfy spot, and pick your favorite background noise.

2. Try yoga (it might just be your thing)

(Photo by unknown via New York Times)

Another great way to live in the moment and be present in your surroundings is through yoga. It’s also a fun way to get active with your friends if you are feeling nervous about starting something new. There are plenty of yoga studios that can be found basically anywhere, but if you are tight on funds you can do it yourself for free! My favorite yoga YouTube channel is Yoga with Adriene. You can find a cheap yoga mat on Amazon, or a woven blanket should do the trick. If you really want to connect with yourself, you can take yourself to a quiet outdoor area and bask in the sun while you’re working on your beautiful inner self.

3. Take yourself on an adventure in nature

(Photo by unknown via Lifestyle Asia)

Not only does going outside get you out of your room and feeling the fresh air around you, but it also has been proven to play a significant role on mental health. Your inner beauty will be thriving by simply walking through the woods, taking a trip to the mountains, or journeying to a nearby lake or river. Try to focus on your surroundings, and allow yourself to think whatever crosses your mind without judgement. The present moment can do more for your mind than you’d think, and getting yourself outside will also give you a sense of accomplishment.

4. Try deep breathing

This might sound like something you’ve always been told and almost NEVER helps, but give it a try. Breathe in through your nose for four seconds, hold it in for seven seconds, and release it slowly for eight seconds. If your brain is anything but tranquil, using a breathing technique is proven to calm your body down, which will help get your mind back to a calm space.

5. Notice things around you

Find five things you can see, four things you can hear, three things you can feel, two things you can smell, and one thing you can taste. This mindfulness exercise will allow you to focus and feel more grounded, which is an important step in easing anxiety that ultimately leads to self-acceptance. Another way to ground yourself in the presence of the moment is to start at your toes and work your way up to your jaw, tightening each muscle for 10 seconds and focusing on how it feels when you release it. By de-stressing with this easy technique, you are on your way to bettering yourself from the inside out.

Some techniques may work better for you than others, but it’s important to find what works for you. Mindfulness is an excellent way to feel beautiful, inside and out. Next time you are stressed about a test, have a fight with your partner, or feel like your life is falling apart, try one of these five tips. You might just discover your new favorite passion.

Keri is a freshman at Pitt majoring in pre-pharmacy. Other than Her Campus, Keri is also a member of CHAARG. When she is not writing, Keri likes to hang out with dogs, listen to all kinds of music, read, workout, drink coffee, and do yoga.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt