bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Sweat in the City: Five Fun Fitness Programs in Detroit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Summer is halfway through, but it’s never too late to get active. Don’t wait for the perfect moment to kickstart your active lifestyle. It’s time to take advantage of your time, get outside and explore. These are incredible opportunities to prioritize your mental and physical well-being; and embrace a summer of wellness. From yoga to high-energy workouts, there’s a class for every type of fitness enthusiast and a space for every beginner right here in Detroit.

1. Community Yoga with Citizens Yoga Series 

Hosted downtown and outdoors, these yoga classes are a perfect way to find your zen and center your summer! Led by a certified yoga instructor, these free community classes are guaranteed to revitalize your mind and body, leaving you feeling refreshed and energized. For more information, visit Community Yoga with Citizens Yoga Series 

2. Morning Combo with Tracie LG Fitness

Join Tracie LG Fitness for her 9 a.m. morning combos on select Sundays all summer long. This high-energy fitness class is a full-body workout incorporating elements of cardio, boxing and isolated strength movements. Whether you are a seasoned fitness enthusiast or a beginner looking to kickstart your wellness journey, this free class is open to all! For more information, visit Morning Combo with Tracie LG Fitness 

3. Fitness After Dark – KICKABS with Coach Kiwi

Indulge in this 60-minute fitness party with Coach Kiwi, filled with strobing lights, live music and a ton of sweat. This free cardio class includes elements of kickboxing and ab workouts after dark. Plus, enjoy the added excitement of a free glow pack! Get ready to ignite your fitness journey in style! For more information, visit Fitness After Dark – KICKABS with Coach Kiwi

4. Workout Wednesdays With First Responders 4 Fitness

Join first responders for workout Wednesdays! This free weekly fitness class is hosted by First Responders 4 Fitness, a nonprofit dedicated to promoting health through special events and different programs for your mental, spiritual, nutritional and physical well-being. For more information, visit Workout Wednesdays With First Responders 4 Fitness 

5. City Glow Yoga

This city-inspired yoga experience combines silent disco technology, talented instructors and local community support to create an unforgettable event. City Glow Yoga takes your yoga practice to new heights by blending the serenity of yoga with the electric atmosphere of the city with a five-dollar donation. Local Detroit businesses generously contribute giveaways and prizes, adding an extra element of excitement to each session. Register at https://cityglowyoga2023.eventbrite.com/ 

Whether you’re craving a revitalizing yoga session or a high-energy workout, this city has got you covered. With these diverse options, there’s a fitness program for everyone in Detroit. So, lace up your sneakers, grab your yoga mat, and get ready to embark on an exhilarating journey toward wellness.  Don’t let this summer slip away—seize the opportunity to make the most of it and embrace a healthier, fitter you. Get ready to sweat in the city of Detroit!

Milcah Solomon is a junior at Michigan State University. She studies Public Relations at Michigan State’s College of Communications Arts & Sciences. She hopes to enter the beauty, fashion, entertainment, or music industry world of public relations, advertising, and journalism after graduation. She is very involved in and around campus. She is in Mosiac Intervarsity, SALT Co., ASMSU, PRSSA, HerCampus at MSU, the Corporate Retail Association, and VIM Magazines. At VIM Magazine she holds the position of Assistant Editor-In-Chief and she is the Associate Director of Public Relations at the Associated Students of Michigan State University (ASMSU). Outside of campus life, she is the first-generation daughter of two Eritrean immigrants and the oldest of three. She loves to travel internationally and has been to Portugal, the United Kingdom, Mexico, Canada, Eritrea, Ethiopia, and Egypt. She loves a good period drama, international show, or sitcom.