How to Deal with Anxiety Early on in the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.
Anxiety has become one of the most common disorders that prevails in today’s university life. It comes in many different forms and can be caused by many different reasons (not just exam stress) that are all valid no matter what other people say

I’ve had it. I have had many friends and family members who’ve had it. And I know some of our readers have it too. The only thing I wish I had done was to have gotten help earlier, so it didn’t have such a big impact on my schoolwork and social life.  Often students will think that swallowing back their anxiety and putting it off until the holiday break is the correct solution, but the fact is that the built up anxiety might just swallow you up during the semester. To avoid such a disaster ahead of time, relax and have a laidback read of the various resources that are available to you. 

1) Self Help 
It is sometimes difficult to reach out for help or if you are like me, you might just not have the time to do so, but it is very much possible to care for your own anxiety in many ways.

A. Music 
The McGill Student Services website has some great audio music with instructions for relaxation and meditation that you can access at home.  You can click here for a wide selection of soothing songs and meditation training that you can access straight away.  

B. Apps/ Podcasts
The website also provides multiple iPhone or Android apps, and podcasts that provide weekly insights and tips to tackling anxiety. All of these can be downloaded (for free) onto your smartphones so you have it with you wherever you go.  

C. Acitvities
Yoga classes are offered in the Brown Building or at the gym. There is a free-of-charge session on Oct, 2nd and the 5th, so sign up here. Hiking up Mt. Royal is also a great way to alleviate anxiety. When you reach the top, make sure to look down into the city because when you start to see things from afar, all of your problems will look small and a lot less scary.  
D. Meditation Room/ Relaxing Locations
The Office of Religious and Spiritual Life offers a meditation room and their oasis lounge for quiet relaxation. They are located in the Brown Building in room 2100 and the lounge is open weekdays from 10 AM to 4 PM. For a quiet retreat, try the Birks Heritage Chapel on 3520 University Street or the Islamic Library in Morrice Hall on McTavish. 

2) Counseling Service
If self-help isn’t sufficient, McGill provides one-on-one counseling or group counseling, and other workshops for the well-being of students. If you want to receive a counseling appointment, you must first attend a consultation appointment so they can best assist you in your treatment. It’s a first-come, first-serve drop in basis from 11:30 AM to 4 PM. 
3) Mental Health Service
Depending on the severity of your anxiety (this can be determined by the consultation appointment above), you might need a psychiatrist’s assistance with more options of therapy and medication. Don’t worry, there is McGill’s Mental Health service in the same building that will be available to you Mondays to Fridays from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM. 

You can also take time off of school, which is really not as scary as it sounds or you also have the option of taking fewer classes. However, all of this is best decided early on so have all this information with you ahead of time and remember that you can always receive help whether from school, friends, family or even from your professors. 

Images obtained from: