Wellness > Health

Tackling The Gym During Lockdown: A Guide for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

With lockdown imminent and life still on hold, it’s crucial to take care of our mental health. Fortunately, the gyms are still open; and with proper precaution, trips to the gym can be safe and carefree. The gym can offer a welcome sanctuary to the isolated student and help ease plummeting mental health. Of course, make sure to wipe down each machine before and after use (you’ll find that most provide the necessary sanitation equipment). I’ve listed some key considerations prior to embarking on your fitness journey that can help propel the transition from novice to enthusiast. Some of my points are somewhat self-explanatory but, through my personal experience, make a world of difference and are worth serious contemplation.

1.   Try and find your nearest gym and roughly work out the off-peak hours

One advantage of being a student is that you can usually workout at unusual times. Gyms are typically quieter from 9-11.30am, and from 2-5 pm (try to avoid the lunch-break and the dreaded 5pm rush). Ultimately, I feel more at ease when the gym is at its quietest (especially in the days of The ‘Rona). I can focus on myself without getting distracted and intimidated by the masses (and gleefully avoid the grunting testosterone-filled bodybuilders).

2.   Finding a good gym fit is of the utmost importance.

I always feel more inspired to venture outside when I feel confident in my outfit. I know it’s tempting to go for the super-colourful and aesthetically appealing prints, but less is more when it comes to sportswear. My go-to is darker colours such as black and navy (more flattering and discreet, I never want to stand out in the gym!). I avoid cropped or low-waisted leggings as they are practically impossible to pull-off. Gym-wear can be inexpensive if you search around. I usually shop online at Fabletics and Amazon for discounts on well-fitting yet simple pieces. I’ve also had success in Tk-Maxx finding unique and high-quality sports bras.

3.   Create an uplifting Spotify playlist that truly compels you to move!

It’s crucial to create this playlist prior to beginning your workout. My go to’s are 90’s R&B, techno and disco—the more feel-good, the better.

4.   Invest in good quality audio.

This makes such a difference. Always go for wireless if you can, as it makes everything much more seamless and hassle-free.

5.   Start following key fitness-influencers.

When I started my journey, I would screenshot Instagram posts and create folders with ideas (e.g. for specific muscle groups, such as glutes, arms, shoulders, back and abs). At times, the machine you want to use won’t be free and you’ll have to improvise, so make sure you have a plan B!

6.   Take a ‘before’ photo. 

It’s the ideal marking of a beginning and the ideal reference point for when you begin to develop. Get a flatmate or friend to take them.

7.   Start every workout with a black coffee.

As a self-confessed caffeine addict (aren’t all Londoners?!), preparing a good ol’ cup ready for my walk to the gym gives a little extra incentive for me. Whether you work out in the morning or at night, it’s a small booster and a warm partner for your commute to and fro.

Best of luck with your fitness endeavours!

Digital Marketing Msc