stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Get Your Spark Back After Feeling Burnt Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Feeling burnt out about school, work or the normal stresses of life can take a toll on your physical and emotional well-being as well as significantly lower your productivity. Among the many signs of burnout, some include constant fatigue, frequent headaches and illnesses, withdrawal from social or everyday activities and loss of motivation. It is usually the result of continuous stress.

College students, not only people in the workforce, are susceptible to this, as the stress of classes and extracurricular commitments can pile up during these years of your life. Here are some ways to get your spark back after burnout.

1. Take a Break — A Real One

This doesn’t mean the brief period of time in between your classes or the short, 30-minute break you take while studying for exams. This means a long, rejuvenating break that will leave you feeling refreshed afterward. 

One way you can take an actual break and still leave time to do any homework or studying is by actually planning a block of free time. Doing this will not only let you rest both physically and mentally, but you will also be more motivated to finish work in a timely manner.

2. Eat Well

Eating balanced meals is often difficult to do for many college students. However, having a proper and consistent diet can remarkably change your stamina and productivity. In addition to eating healthy, eating at regular times is important as well.

Ditch (or at least cut down on) the microwave meals and instant noodles. If you have a meal plan, try to eat foods in different food groups that are healthy. If you live in an apartment, cook sufficient and hearty meals. 

3. Improve Your Organizational and Management Skills

One sign of burnout is loss of motivation and the feeling that you are not in control of your life. Work through this by taking measures to better your organizational and time management skills.

This is not limited to using a planner and creating a set schedule but also includes other organizational methods. If your room is messy, cleaning and rearranging it can give you a sense of order. Try other things that may help you feel that sense of security.

4. Reconsider Your Schedule

You are likely making your schedule too packed if you’re burnt out. Free time is also an important part of your schedule. Even dropping one extracurricular can make a large difference in how busy you are.

If you are part of a club or organization that is not beneficial or enjoyable to you, you should reconsider whether or not you really want to stay in it. Having more time by quitting an organization or activity might help you better focus on the ones you really care about. 

In the end, your mental health comes first. Take care of your mind and body and work hard — your success will follow.

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3

Julie Kang

Illinois '20

Julie Kang is a Journalism major at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In her free time, Julie enjoys ice skating, shopping, talking and eating with friends and reading. Follow her on Instagram at @julieebaaby
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.