This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Summer is officially over and now it is time to get back to reality for many of us, which is going to school. Starting the school year can bring about feelings of stress, anxiety, and depression for many college students. It is easy to forget to take care of yourself both mentally and physically in the midst of socializing, working, and studying, but it is the most important thing you can do for yourself. Self-care is about treating yourself the way you treat other people and practicing kindness and respect towards yourself. Practicing self-care does not have to take a long time and I am going to share with you five easy tips to help take better care of yourself!

Self-care does not mean just mindlessly watching reality television, but doing something that is going to enhance your well-being. Not saying that reality television does not help some people to unwind, but there are more productive and healthier ways to treat yourself.

Eat all of the colors of the rainbow.

Many students tend to let their diet go out of control when they enter a dining hall that is filled with temptations from pasta to cookies and cake, but those foods will not taste good for long. On the other hand, eating balanced and healthy meals that include protein, carbohydrates, healthy fats, vegetables, and fruits are shown to improve energy, bone health, vitamin deficiency, and much more! Breakfast is also the most important meal of the day and skipping it to try to make your 8 am is not worth it. Try to wake up an extra half hour early to snag some oatmeal or an omelette that will not only keep you satisfied but will give you the energy you need to power through the day without having to rely solely on coffee! Try one day to eat every color of the rainbow in one meal and trust me it will be both delicious and Instagram worthy!

Color, Paint, Draw – Be Artistic!

When most people think of coloring they tend to think of a child making a birthday card for their best friend or working on a project in elementary school, but being artistic is a great way to relieve stress. Whether it be coloring, painting, drawing, or whatever you love, try to do it where you need to follow a specific color pattern or stay inside the lines. The attention to detail that is required will allow you to zone out of your surroundings and just focus on the task at hand making it a great way to decompress.

Get some friends together and have a coloring party together!

Hit The Gym.

Let’s be honest here. Working out feels like a drag for most people, but the benefits that it has on both mental and physical health are significant. Working out for 35 minutes at least three times a week at a brisk pace is all you need to get your heart rate up and receive the benefits. Working out releases endorphins which makes you feel good and relieves stress and tension in your body. Exercising also improves memory which will be useful when studying for tests and the quality of sleep which most people do not get enough of! Working out regularly has been shown to reduce the symptoms of anxiety, depression, ADHD, and more.

Sleep. Sleep. Sleep.

We have all been there pulling an all-nighter trying to finish the last minute paper or studying for an exam, but the reality is that sleep is crucial for both our mental and physical health. Sleeping between 7-9 hours is recommended as it provides increased awareness, memory, mood, and concentration. Not getting enough sleep can hinder memory, increase appetite, and increase anxiety and depression.

Instead of spending an extra hour on Instagram, use that hour to benefit your mental health and use that extra hour to sleep!

Positive Self-Affirmations.

Talking positively to yourself is one of the most crucial elements in having good mental health. It is easy to let the negatives take over our head space and concentrate only on the negatives and the failures we have experienced, but focusing on the positives from the day can help to remember everything we should be grateful for. Try to write out three things each day that you are grateful for in a journal each day and reflect on them at the end of the week and see how good you feel. Remember that even when obstacles come your way, they are nothing that you can’t handle and there are resources out there to help you.

Taking care of your mental health does not have to to be time-consuming or boring! There are ways to involve self-care into your lives and not only will you feel happier, but your body will thank you. 

My name is Casey and I am a freshman journalism major at Hofstra University. I am interested in pop culture and the entertainment industry and hope one day to be working at a magazine or entertainment outlet. I enjoy going to concerts, creating YouTube videos for my channel YouTube.com/CelebrityHauteSpot, and baking delicious treats.