harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Self Care: Dedicating a Day Just to Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Life is stressful, especially when you’re a full-time college student. Juggling classes, extracurriculars, a social life, and a sleep schedule is just too stressful. When your day-to-day schedule gets too overwhelming, it’s important to take a step back. Taking a day out of each week to practice self care is crucial to maintaining your sanity during the stressful four years of college.

If you feel like you can’t afford to take an entire day out of your week to practice self care, then you’re probably one of the people who need it most. Despite how crazy your schedule is, you should always make yourself a priority. 

Society makes it seem like you should keep yourself busy 24/7. Keeping yourself busy every waking hour will eventually lead to you burning out, which will be more detrimental to you in the long run. If you feel like you can’t take 24 hours out of your week, then you won’t be pleased to hear that burnout could slow you down for weeks on end. 

By taking one day out of your week to practice self care, you will finally get the balance that your busy schedule desperately needs. You’ll no longer feel like you’re drowning in your work. You’ll be more relaxed and an overall better human being without all the constant stress weighing you down. 

You might be wondering why you need an entire day to do your typical self care routines; that’s because your self care day shouldn’t be limited to just face masks and laying in your robe. Self care activities could be anything that makes your heart feel full. It could be: going for a long walk, excessive shopping, binge watching your favorite show, eating your favorite foods, or just getting a good night’s sleep. 

You should also spend this self care day by yourself. This might just be the introvert in me speaking, but it’s so important to have a break from being around people and just take some time to yourself.

Any activity you can do to de-stress and cleanse yourself from all the pressures of your daily life is key to living your best life. Get rid of the idea that you have to keep yourself busy every waking hour. You can still be a girl boss while taking time out of your week to practice self care.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Clarissa is a senior majoring in Journalism at Boston University's College of Communication. Besides writing, Clarissa loves Srabble, astrology, and satire. ?
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.