This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I am never one to make a New Year’s resolution, but I wanted 2019 to be different. On New Year’s Eve 2018 I sat down and made a list of small goals I wanted to work towards. These things included getting my flexibility back, going to yoga weekly, trying more foods, and curating a better relationship with my body. I realized all of these small goals were health related and very attainable. Yet, the one that I struggled with most was creating a better relationship with my body.

Photo credit: FreePik

Everyone’s relationship with their physical and mental wellbeing is different, and when I made this resolution I was at a pretty healthy spot with my body, but I still strived for improvement. As someone who has always been interested in health and fitness, I have spent many years perfecting my gym routine, but I was starting to get sick of it.

Being in college started to make my relationship with the gym unhealthy; I had to force myself to go, and when I did, I didn’t feel the same high that I used to. I had the same problem with food; living in a dorm meant that I wasn’t able to try new recipes and get excited about food as I had at home. I often resorted to eating the same meal everyday, or even twice daily. This was okay with me for a while, but then I began to realize that I was eating because it was a part of my routine, and not to nourish and fuel my body like it should’ve been.

Photo credit: FreePik

In my journal I wrote that I have to “listen to my body,” although I did not entirely comprehend what this entailed. As months began flying by I reminded myself of this goal daily. I would ask myself, do I have enough energy to go to the gym? Do I even want to? Am I eating that because I enjoy it? Or is it because I have to? When I started asking these questions it surprised me how much I answered no. No, I didn’t want to do the things I was doing, so I opted for change.

This ended up with me taking a break from working out for a bit; I changed my focus to yoga and meditation, and for the first time in around 3 years, I took a gym-hiatus. It felt wrong at first since working out was such a big part of how I maintained my mental health, but then it felt really good. I also started switching up my meals by buying new groceries and making food for myself in my room when I could.

Photo credit: FreePik

I am now back to the gym, and making sure to eat food that makes me happy… even if this means eating out every once in a while. I was scared that I relied so much on the gym and my structured eating habits that letting go of that would change me completely, but it didn’t. Instead, it made me have a healthier relationship with the gym and excited to go back. Having a healthy relationship with my body is something that is very important to me, and creating a healthy relationship with the gym and food only enhances that.

New Year’s resolutions don’t always work, but creating a healthy relationship with you physical and mental self is worth working toward!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Taylor is a freshman at BU with a dual degree in International Relations and Journalism. She loves vegan food, writing poetry and art museums.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.