kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

You Need These Apps if You Want to be Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Try and try again, everyone has gone through the stage of downloading a fitness or health app with the intention of getting fit, getting sane, and becoming that better version of themselves that they always imagined. While there is an aspect of willpower involved, sometimes the apps we chose just don’t give us what we want. Look around, try some different ones, and consider one of the following in your journey to becoming a happier and healthier you!

1. MyFitnessPal

Yeah, yeah. The one, the only, the most widely spread version of a calorie counter that everyone knows about. But have you actually used it? MyFitnessPal is an easy way to track food, nutrients, goals, photos, and more! You can connect with your friends to share status updates, engage with a community, and watch your progress happen in real time on a weight loss chart (if that’s your goal). MFP even has easy options to import recipes from the internet and scan barcodes so you’re never left guessing about just how many calories are in your meals.

2. Plant Nanny

Finally, a reason to drink water. Plant Nanny is a cute and interactive game that will make you want to stay hydrated. You get sent reminders throughout the day to drink water based on personal statistics (height, weight, age) that you provide. Drinking water keeps your plant happy, neglecting to drink water makes it sad. If you ignore it completely and thus keep yourself dehydrated, your plant dies and you have to start over. Healthy plants get moved to a garden where you can get seeds, grow more plants, and prove to everyone you DO have a green thumb!

3. Headspace

Don’t just start meditating, learn how with Headspace. While Headspace requires payment to move forward, you can access their beginner pack for a free 10-day experience. The hardest part about starting anything new is figuring it out. Whether or not you decide to stick with Headspace after the 10-day beginner period is up to you, but they’re a great place to start for reaching mental clarity and a peace of mind.

4. Exerprise

Fear the gym no longer, Exerprise’s library of workouts is perfect for anyone who doesn’t quite know what to do when it’s time to break a sweat. Fill in information about what equipment you have available, what part of the body you want to target, and how long you want to work out, and they’ll put a workout together for you in the blink of an eye. Exercises, reps, and sets are interchangeable, and they even show videos of someone doing the motions to make sure you’re never lost out on the floor.

5. Couch to 5K

Also known as C25K, many amateur runners swear by the program for getting them from couch potato to 5k participant. The nine week plan takes you from no running experience to being able to complete a full 3.1 mile course. If you have the ability to walk a consistent 30 minutes, you can start the program which focuses on establishing stamina versus making you fast. It isn’t a strict program and there’s no trainer breathing down your neck telling you to work harder, so it allows you to move at your own pace or repeat certain days if needed.

Amber Lauzé is a senior Entrepreneurial Studies and Management double major from Auburn, Maine. When not writing for HCXU, she can found at one of her many jobs, or hunting for her cat that likes to hide in blankets.