jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Actually Get out of Bed On Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

So we all struggle with getting up in the morning, and if you are a college student you probably have it even harder. 7 am classes every other day, then sleeping in until noon, then staying out until three and trying to recover with a well-appreciated Sunday. Your poor body is getting whiplash from over-sleeping, under-sleeping, and a complete lack of a schedule. Even if your crazy life cannot be changed around to accommodate an 11 pm bedtime every night, here are at least some tips to help you get out of bed more easily in the morning, no matter what time you crawled in.

1.Drink Water

I don’t mean just stay hydrated. I mean chug as much water as you can right before crawling into bed. When your alarm goes off in the morning, it will wake you up, but what is really gonna get you out of bad is how much you have to pee. Weird tip, but it works wonders!

2. Ditch the Phone

Sleeping next to your phone is a big no-no for multiple reasons. Planning your dream wedding for two hours after getting into bed does not count as sleep, and waking up in the middle of the night and reaching for your bright phone is going to make falling back asleep even harder. Most importantly, if your phone is out of reach, then you are going to have to get out of bed in the morning to turn your alarm off.

3. Blinds are Not Your Friend

If you are one of those people who has blinds that make you room pitch black no matter what time it is, then you probably need to reevaluate closing your blinds when you sleep. Waking up to sunlight is a slow and natural way to get up, and it makes you feel so much more rejuvenated than you would if your phone just screamed an obnoxious ringtone at you.

4. Set ONE Alarm

People have a tendency of setting, like, nineteen alarms every night before bed. Rather than waking up at 7, then at 7:15, then at 7:30, etc. just set your alarm for the latest time you can wake up while still being able to be on time. It is honestly worse for your body to yank it in and out of sleep, so just get that extra 30 minutes and stop wasting your time pretending you are going to wake up early enough to blow dry your hair all the way.

5. There’s an App for That

There is an app for basically everything, including getting your ass out of bed. Apps like “Step Out of Bed” insist you take a certain amount of steps before the alarm goes off. I am sure there are ways to cheat this, but it is worth a shot!

6. Temperature Matters

I have learned that sleeping with twelve blankets in a cold room is one of the best things. It makes it almost impossible to get out of bed, however, so try and keep your bedroom closer to the warm side. If you wake up hot, you are going to throw your blankets off to get some cooler air. This is the first step to getting out of bed, and maybe your frustrated anger at those dang blankets is going to wake you up enough to get you out of bed.

Waking up may just be the worst part of every day, but I hope that these tips can make it suck a little bit less. 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor