Wellness

Don’t Have Time For The Gym? Make Working Out Social With These 6 Activities!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As college students, we have limited time in our schedules to do activities we enjoy. If you’re struggling to find time to go to the gym without sacrificing your time with friends (or simply looking for gym alternatives), look no further! Here are 6 fitness activities you can try with your friend group:

Hiking

Who doesn’t enjoy a top-of-the-world view while getting their cardio in? Hiking is perfect for bonding with friends in the great outdoors. You can even get Instagram-worthy photos! Make sure to plan your hiking route and transportation beforehand for a productive hike.

boba “Runs”

Do your hangouts with friends mostly consist of boba runs? Then make it a real run to get some cardio in! Change into athletic wear, get your friends and run to your favorite boba place! Once you get boba, you can choose to run back (this may be a bit risky with boba in your hand) or drink it while walking back. I know it sounds crazy, but please try it! It’s a great time-saver as well.

Dance Class

Going to burlesque class with my roommates for the first time is one of my favorite memories! You don’t have to dance to enjoy this activity; in fact, dancing for the first time will be a great bonding experience for you and your friends. You can sign up for free dance classes on campus or get a friend who dances to teach you. If you feel confident by the end of the session, you can maybe even record yourselves and post a dance video!

DAPHNE RUBIN-VEGA as Daniela, STEPHANIE BEATRIZ as Carla and DASCHA POLANCO as Cuca in Warner Bros. Pictures’ “IN THE HEIGHTS,” a Warner Bros. Pictures release.
Photo by Macall Polay / Warner Bros
JUST DANCE

If you don’t want to sign up for a dance class, you can host your own dance party! 30 minutes of Just Dance burns 180 calories for a 125-pound person. You can invite up to five friends to have six players! This is a great way to get all of your friend involved in a fun night of laughter and relaxed dancing.

MIDNIGHT WALKS

Midnight walks around your campus or college town are the perfect way to relax before you sleep. It’s free and requires little equipment or planning. I recommend going with someone you feel safe and comfortable being around! It’s a good time to enter deep conversations and get to know each other more.

Shapiro Courtyard at UCLA at night
Original photo by Hannah Lee
swimming

This one requires a little more planning and time compared to the other activities on the list. Nevertheless, it’s a fun, refreshing activity to do on a hot afternoon! If you’re swimming in college, make sure to check your college pool policies (e.g. need to reserve a lane beforehand) prior to your outing!

These were six fun workouts you can do with friends! All of the options can be done in small groups or big groups, and it’s up to you to invite as many friends as you want. Juggling your social life and health is hard in college, but always remember that you don’t have to necessarily sacrifice one for another—balance is the key!

Rio is a third-year UCLA business economics student from Japan. In her free time, you can find her hiking, dancing away at concerts, or cafe-hopping!