A 20-Minute Yoga Routine to Kick-Start Your Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

At the beginning of winter quarter, it’s usually cold, dreary, and sometimes rainy. Often, it’s hard to get yourself out of bed in the morning. Yoga is a great practice for college students like us. It doesn’t require a gym membership or any fancy equipment, and it gets your blood flowing, leaves you feeling blissfully serene, and keeps you energetic all day.

Still, with classes, extracurriculars, and friends to meet up with, it can be difficult to find the time to do much else! With the help of my mother, a certified yoga and meditation instructor, I’ve created this 20-minute yoga routine that’s quick, relaxing, and easy to fit into your schedule even if you’ve got an early class.

1. 12 Sun Salutations

A sun salutation consists of 12 yoga poses that are done in succession. Since a salutation requires you to stretch multiple muscles, it’s the best one to start with. It’ll help you feel awake and ready to handle whatever comes your way for the rest of the day. If you can, practice your sun salutations by a bright, sunny window. Otherwise, use your phone (but not for long!) to determine what side of your house faces the east, where the sun rises.

2.   Bridge Pose

This is another great pose that strengthens your spine and will help you to sit with your back straight in class! Lie on your back and protect your neck (if necessary) by placing a blanket under your shoulders. Bend your knees, but keep your hands and feet flat on the floor. As you inhale, lift your hips up and off the ground, and slowly let your spine roll with it. Hold this pose for four breaths and exhale as you bring your hips back down. Repeat the pose 6 times.

3. Child’s Pose

Out of all the asanas (poses) in yoga, this one is my favorite! It provides ultimate relaxation. Sit on your knees, and let your butt rest on your heels. Breathe in, and bend forward until your forehead touches the floor. Keep your arms extended in front of you. Close your eyes and breathe softly, allowing yourself to take in the quietness of the day. Repeat this pose four times (or more if you enjoy it as much as I do).

4. Cat’s Pose

This stretch is a great complement to the child’s pose, and is often done immediately afterwards. With your stomach facing the ground and your back forming a table, keep your knees and hands on the floor. You’ll be on all fours, and of course, resemble a cat. While inhaling, raise your chin and tilt your head back, like a proud feline, and do the opposite as you exhale. Allow your shoulders to roll comfortably and repeat the pose four times.

And that’s it! This yoga routine is short, but keeps you energized for hours. Trust me, I did it at sunrise this morning and still feel wide awake. Try it out and you’ll see that it really only takes 20 minutes to turn your whole day around.

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!