3 Ways Her Campus @ UC Riverside is Practicing Self-Love in 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Ah, February. Who doesn’t love the month of love? In the days, weeks, and sometimes even months (cough Michael’s cough) leading up to Valentine’s Day, there are bombardments of chocolates, roses, teddy bears, and romance everywhere you go. It is, without question, best known for romantic love. 

This isn’t the only love that exists though! Other forms of love exist too, like the love we share with our friends (platonic love) and the love we have for our family members (familial love). What most people don’t seem to remember is that self-love exists too, and it deserves some limelight in the month of love. The fourteenth of February may be past and gone, but self-love should be constantly celebrated. 

I took the liberty of asking my fellow Her Campus members on what they did when they decided to choose joy. Here are some ways Her Campus @ UC Riverside is practicing self-love in 2021!

Taking Breaks

When you realize you’ve been studying for hours, or you feel yourself stressing out, it’s probably a good idea to take a quick break. Chilling out for a bit can reset your mind and put you back on track to blaze through that homework assignment. Get up from your chair and away from the computer, and take your mind off of your work for a few minutes. In the meantime, you can listen to some of your favorite tunes and space out. Do some stretches using your chair. One of our writers, even puts aside “ten or fifteen minutes for 5 really good songs for… a little dance break.” Dancing for a bit can be a good way to loosen your muscles while having fun, so feel free to crank up the tunes and let it all out! 

Spa Days

At the end of the day, or even on a day off, you can try pampering yourself with a mini spa day! Light some scented candles, slip on a soft bathrobe, and make yourself some refreshing fruit-infused water. You can start the day off with a tried-and-true hair mask, and then take a relaxing bath in some essential oils. Afterwards, follow this article for an at-home facial. 

You don’t have to take a full day out for a little spa treatment, though. In example, Angela Saha, one of our editors, likes putting on a face mask, before removing her nail polish and redoing her nails with fresh coats of paint. Other beauty-related methods of self-love include taking time to do the morning makeup routine and doing a skin care routine every night. Everyone needs some rest and relaxation now and then — take a suggestion here and schedule out time for your spa day!

Media (Books, TV, video games, etc.)

Consuming some beloved forms of media is another excellent way to give yourself a little bit of love. This includes everything from flipping through the latest issue of your favorite magazine, to binging through a movie marathon with your friends, to scrolling through Her Campus articles. A few of our chapter members like to spend time reading to destress — myself included! You could check out a couple of self-help books — here’s a list of some for those of you who hate reading. For those of you who like pouring over a bunch of tiny words over paper, check this list out, and one of the best books I’ve ever read. Personally, I prefer reading over TV and video games, but if those are more of your forte, check out some cool Netflix shows to start and a handful of tips about Animal Crossing: New Horizons from other Her Campus writers!

You should make it a priority to practice self-love every month of the year. But if we’re going to put a little more attention into love at any point in time, it should be during the month of love itself. Keep the above tips into account as you try to think up of ways you can practice self-love. They’ve worked for our chapter, and they might work for you too

Audrey Kim

UC Riverside '24

Audrey is a Computer Engineering major who wants to improve her writing skills. She hopes that readers will be informed, amused, or both, by her content!
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.