Wellness

Top 10 Essential Wellness Habits to Make the Most of Virtual School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Give yourself a pat on the back – we’ve endured almost two months of a virtual fall semester! Despite the indescribably strange circumstances, the school year is in full swing. I know we’re all looking forward to Thanksgiving break, when we can finally lift the heavy, frustrating weight of Zoom classes and indulge in as much pumpkin pie as we want. 

Although it’s been rough balancing school, extracurriculars, and leisure activities, a consistent routine has been getting me through this grueling semester. I hope many of you feel like you have a good routine, but in case you think you could benefit from some suggestions, here are my top 10 essential wellness habits for a virtual semester:

Develop a morning routine

You don’t have to be a morning person to enjoy a refreshing morning routine! Once you get out of bed, try looking outside your window or doing a quick morning stretch. Developing a morning routine that works well for you can set the tone for the rest of your day, and you might also find that this can get you productive more quickly.

And of course, make sure to fuel your body and your mind with some breakfast! 

Call your friends and family

I assume that many of us are already doing this, but it’s such a nice habit to develop. Calling (and FaceTiming) my close friends and family members has been an amazing way for me to maintain my relationships. Even though I can’t physically hang out with them for the time being, keeping in touch with the people I love and talking about our days definitely helps me stay connected. 

Remind yourself to stand up

In one of my classes this semester, I have a professor who always gives us a 5-minute break during each Zoom lecture. This is SO important because sitting at your desk for hours can tighten your hip flexors and hamstring muscles and stiffen your joints. It sounds kind of scary, but taking 30 seconds once in a while to stand up and stretch your shoulders, back, and hips can improve your health! You could set a timer to remind yourself to stretch, or to refer back to tip #2 above, stand up while you’re on a call! 

Take charge of the content you digest

I can’t stress this enough – what you see on social media really impacts your day and your perspective. It’s awesome to stay informed and connected, but remember that you have the power to choose the content you consume. Personalize your feed, and make sure that you’re seeing what you want to see. Be selfish with what you digest! 

If you’re also someone who loves positive news, cute videos, and photos of dogs, here are 3 accounts that I recommend you check out on Instagram: @goodgoodgoodco, @upworthy, and @weratedogs. Go out there and find content that brings you the warm fuzzy feeling of sweater weather because you deserve it.

Turn on “Do Not Disturb”

This is a tip I have if you feel exhausted and bothered by a constant stream of notifications: make it a habit to turn on Do Not Disturb once in a while. I love reserving time for myself and reflecting on how my days are going. It’s great to stay connected, but it’s also essential to give yourself some “me-time” and check in with yourself as often as you can. 

Keep a journal

Keeping a journal is a healthy habit that will help you organize your thoughts, whether you handwrite your thoughts or jot down a few bullet points in your Notes app. Regardless of the day that you have, writing a few sentences about what’s bothering you or what you’re grateful for is like being your own therapist, but it’s more easily manageable and accessible! 

Take advantage of academic resources

For Penn students, remember that you have access to a lot of useful academic resources. Try navigating Weingarten’s website! They have strategies for online learning, how to prepare for open book exams, and nicely organized handouts at your disposal. These resources are designed to help and support us, so take advantage of them!

Try out Penn Campus Rec’s exercise classes 

Another great resource for Penn students, faculty, and staff is the Penn Campus Recreation online exercise classes. You can easily log in with your PennKey, sign up for a free membership, and get access to more than 30 virtual classes for this fall. 

The hardest part about working out is finding motivation. I think it’s important to remember that exercising should be tailored to your own specific needs. Don’t feel pressured to work out in one way or another; seek flexibility in your routine and find what feels right for you! There are some great YouTube channels for short workouts at home if you’re unsure of where to start. Regardless of the intensity of your fitness routine, make sure you drink water throughout the day!

Make playlists and share with friends

Along the theme of personalization and “feel good” habits, try to spice up your music experience with a DIY playlist! Whenever I make a new playlist, I usually try to focus more on the theme than the genre of the music. I also love to make mood playlists, so I have those ready for any emotions that may hit me.

Develop healthy sleeping habits

I know — getting enough sleep gets really, really hard, but sleep is an essential part of self-care, especially during a strange and stressful semester. Taking care of your body starts with the basics, and I want to emphasize that keeping a consistent sleep schedule can truly energize your day-to-day work. You don’t have to go to sleep early every day, but making an effort to go to bed at similar times and getting at least 5-6 hours of sleep can pay huge dividends.

This was a lot, but I hope some of these wellness habits resonate with you. If nobody told you this today, you are wonderful, capable, and strong! Take care of your mind and your body, and go get ‘em! 

Mary is a junior majoring in Science, Technology & Society with a minor in Consumer Psychology. She is on the Penn Women's Golf Team and is passionate about storytelling and health & wellness. Her favorite writers include Toni Morrison, Kurt Vonnegut, and Malcolm Gladwell. When she isn't studying or golfing, Mary enjoys listening to music + podcasts, watching TV with her family & friends, and practicing yoga.