stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

First Steps to Fitness at the University of Iowa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Between classes and schoolwork, extracurricular activities, hanging out with friends and mayyyybe sleeping, there can be very little time to think about being healthy. However, being healthy doesn’t have to be a scheduled thing. You don’t have to spend hours at the gym seven days a week. You don’t have to live off of salads. There are ways to reduce stress and anxiety. The University of Iowa offers so many ways to be healthy. Here are a few tips for your first steps to fitness at the University of Iowa.

EXERCISE

1- Walk to class

Yes, we have amazing Cambuses for days when you roll out of bed and just can’t with life. But walking to class allows you to sneak in a quick work out and get fresh air to de-stress. Plus walking to class with your friends or campus crush = major quality time!

2- Use the rec centers 

The University of Iowa is known for its Campus Recreation and Wellness Center (CRWC), but there are four other indoor facilities and 12 outdoor facilities that are available to UIowa students. Each facility has a variety of operating hours and fitness equipment and services. For more information about recreation locations, click here.

3- Take a class

The University of Iowa offers fitness and nutrition classes that count for academic credit! Classes range from ping pong to yoga to indoor cycling. Students can find out more about these classes by searching for them on ISIS during registration. There are also kettlebell, yoga and Zumba classes that are free for UIowa students. These classes are offered at the CRWC and the Field House. For a schedule of these classes, click here.

4- Twerk it out in your room 

Don’t have time/don’t want to go to the gym? Blast some music and do an energetic 20 minute workout like this or stretch to relax! It may be weird to work out in a cramped room, but this is college, and you have to use whatever space you have to your advantage. You can even stream YogaZumba (insert heart eye emoji here) or P90X videos from YouTube. You can even get your roommates or floor mates to do it with you!

FOOD

1- Fill up on fruits and veggies 

Teens and adults should try to consume about two servings of vegetables and two servings of fruits each day. Burge and Hillcrest, although not always consistent with quality and availability, always offer fruits and vegetables. College students can easily forget about these options when there are fries, pizza, pasta, tacos and (my personal fave) the Hillcrest Burger Bar. Try entering the dining hall and getting a fruit or vegetable before you get anything else to eat. If you get a flex meal, make your side a banana or apple instead of chips and cookies.

2- But don’t forget your protein 

Protein should be one of largest parts of a balanced diet- adults should eat about five servings every day. UIowa dining halls offer grilled chicken (a small chicken breast is about three servings of protein), but there are more ways to sneak protein into your meals! Quinoa, peanut butter, nuts, beans, eggs, tofu, green peas and milk products are foods that have high protein power and are super filling and satisfying.

3- Walk past that dessert bar 

Burge and Hillcrest are set up so that you pass the desert bar on the way out of the hall. To block out temptation, simply don’t look at the desert case–ignoring dessert options makes passing up desserts a lot easier. BUT, my fellow sweets-and-treats lover, DON’T FRET! You don’t have to block out desserts completely. It’s totally fine to indulge every once and a while–the key to being healthy is balance. Also, since dining halls are set up buffet style, it can be tempting to go back for more. Try only getting one plate of food.

4- Drink water and lots of it 

Adults should consume about eight eight-ounce glasses of water a day. Sub water in for potentially sugary drinks (Diet Coke, Hi-C, PowerAde, coffees or alcohols*). Drinking water before, during and after a meal will help with digestion, limit bloating and make you feel fuller than drinking pop or coffee would. Carry a reusable water bottle around campus if you’re trying to increase your water intake.

*Alcohols: choosemyplate.gov recommends not having more than one drink a day. One drink is equivalent to a 12 ounce beer, five ounces of wine, or one and a half ounces of 80-proof liquor.

****General tip: you can sneak food out of the dining hall. Grab a banana or apple and carry it out in your back pack. If you have Tupperware, you can fill it with chicken, celery, carrots and fruits to keep in your room for later! It saves money and gives you access to healthier options.

SLEEP and STRESS

1- About getting seven to nine hours of sleep… 

Let’s be real, you mostly likely won’t get the recommended seven to nine hours of sleep each night. Whether it’s because your roommate stays up later/gets up earlier than you, you binge on Netflix (guilty as charged), or study till the wee dawn, getting enough sleep can seem impossible. Sleep is important! So watch one less episode of “Scandal” or skip/skim the reading you have due by Friday.

2- Naps are your friend

And after an occasional all-nighter, you need to rest. Naps restore alertness and make you feel refreshed. On days where you know you’ll zone out in your stats lecture, try to fit a 20-30 minute nap in before. Naps rejuvenate you without leaving you feeling groggy. If your schedule doesn’t allow for napping (like mine does), take time to rest or meditate–this has the same effect as taking a nap.

3- Utilize student sources 

The University of Iowa offers many resources for students, including weight management, stress management, nutrition counseling and drug and alcohol counseling. Using a service or seeing a professional is nothing to be ashamed of! Doctors and counselors remain totally confidential and want to help. Check out the wellness services the University of Iowa offers.

4- Lean on your friends 

One of the best things about college is that you are surrounded by friends 24/7. They’re there for you through exams, drama, nights out and hung over breakfasts. They want to be there for you. So complain about that professor who gave you a C when you think you deserved an A. Cry to them when you’re lonely, homesick, not feeling well. Go to them for a movie/fro-yo night. They want to be there for you just as much as they want you to be there for them.

Overall being healthy is about taking care of yourself. Surround yourself with people who encourage you to be the best version of yourself. Utilize resources, make yourself happy, and enjoy life. This is college! And you’re at the best school there is. 

McKenzie Story is from Algonquin, Illinois and is studying Journalism and Marketing at the University of Iowa. She is a captain of the UIowa Dance Club and keeps busy by teaching strength training along with dance classes. McKenzie enjoys being surrounded by family and friends and is always up for new adventures. She is excited to be a part of Her Campus and is thankful that her university has such an amazing chapter.
Sarah Nelson is senior at the University of Iowa pursuing a Journalism major, English minor, and Fundraising and Philanthropy Communication Certificate. When she's not binge-watching One Tree Hill or Jane the Virgin on Netflix (again), she's is probably rereading the Harry Potter series or writing for her blog, SarahNdipity. With an addiction to books and coffee, Sarah hopes to take the world by storm as a book editor. Or social media marketer. Or blogger. (She hasn't quite made up her mind yet, but that's okay because who says you have to be just one thing?)