Friends working out at the gym together.
Original photo by Sydney Di Brina
Wellness > Health

Rating TMU Gym Classes as a Fitness Nepotism Baby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

You might have read the title of this article and wondered what a fitness nepotism baby is. Well, my friend thought this was a fitting title to give me as both of my parents work part-time as fitness instructors. 

Having grown up in a household that prioritizes health and fitness, I have a unique perspective on physical activity. I feel this makes me a bit more qualified to rate these classes.

If you’re new to the gym or want to finally take advantage of Toronto Metropolitan University’s facilities, give group fitness classes a try.

At TMU’s Recreation and Athletic Centre (RAC), there are many group fitness classes available. I have not attended all of the classes offered at school, but I have participated in a handful. Here are my thoughts on some of the classes.

1. Bootcamp

Bootcamp is my favourite class offered at the RAC. I enjoy how every class is different and how we always use various equipment like booty bands, bosu balls and sliders. I think this is my top class because I prefer high-intensity workouts where there is a mix of exercises with weights included. I feel accomplished after I finish Bootcamp class and ready for any challenges the day throws at me.

2. Barre

I tried Barre for the first time last semester, and I instantly knew that I’d be coming back. This class targets your legs and abs while also helping with balance. Participating in Barre classes made me feel nostalgic for my ballerina days. I really enjoyed this class as it differed from my other workouts. I liked it so much that I asked Santa to bring me a pair of Barre socks for Christmas since I noticed the instructor always dressed in sparkly pink socks.

3. Pilates

I have only tried the Pilates class once so far. This is due to the fact that the class is at 7:30 A.M., and I am not a morning person. Pilates workouts have been trending lately, and I wanted to know what it would be like to be a Pilates Princess for a day, so I got up early to try it out. I would say this is a low-intensity class with a focus on your core, leaving you sore the next day.

4. Spin

My father specializes in teaching Spin, but these classes have never been my cup of tea as I always found the bike seats uncomfortable. Lately, I’ve been pushing myself to try new workouts to shock my body, so I have now been joining the spinning classes at school on a weekly basis. This is where I channel my rage into sprints and bounce up and down on the bike as Beyoncé plays. Last week our instructor played a remix of “Running Up That Hill” by Kate Bush, and I imagined I was in Stranger Things sprinting away from Vecna on my bike. Spin is a fun way to do cardio, but I still prefer workouts where I can get up and move around instead of sitting the whole time.

5. Yoga

Yoga was very relaxing, with the low lighting and tranquil music creating a zen atmosphere. I stretched some parts of my body that I didn’t know I could stretch. I also challenged myself to do a crow pose and a bridge, which I haven’t attempted in years. Yoga is important to participate in as it helps you focus on breathing, stretches your body, and encourages mindfulness. 

These are my opinions, but everyone has different workouts that they favour, so I encourage you to attend any classes that you find interesting. If you’re nervous to go alone, bring some friends because this never fails to make my workouts more enjoyable. Maybe I’ll run into you at the gym next time!

Sydney Di Brina

Toronto MU '23

Sydney is in the Journalism program at Toronto Metropolitan University. She loves to try out new recipes, exercise, binge-watch shows/movies and drink matcha.