This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

As a college student, it can be incredibly tough to find time to fit in a workout. Whether you’re balancing classes, social engagements, clubs and/or work, working out can be the last thing on your mind. The Rec here on campus can be your lifeline. If you don’t have time to fit in workouts 3 times a week, the group classes are just what you are looking for. I recently had the pleasure of attending the Barre class, taught by Sarah Sanchez, at 6:30p.m. this past Wednesday. The class is offered weekly on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:20p.m., so if you have time to spare, I’d highly recommend it.

Photo By SaMaria Boyd

First and foremost, let’s get a clear understanding of what Barre is. Barre is a mixture of ballet, yoga and Pilates. There’s mat work, such as stretching and pilate movements and then there is barre work where ballet is incorporated. The movements are targeted more at your abs, legs and of course the booty! It’s an intense workout from start to finish but it is so fun! 

My experience was great! When I walked in, the first thing I noticed was the actual ballet Barre that was there. It really gives you a feel of what’s to come. Each person there got a yoga mat and a yoga balance trainer. We were instructed to take off our shoes, but it was really an option of what you were comfortable with. We started off stretching (doing yoga poses), using the balance trainer and then we moved into the ballet portion using the barre. We did a lot of ballet movements using the barre and it got pretty intense. But no pain, no gain, right? After about 15 minutes of that, we moved back to the yoga mat and got an intense ab (Pilates) and leg workout in. Afterwards, Sarah turned the lights off and we had a cool down period that included tons of stretching.

Photo By SaMaria Boyd

I am by no means a fitness person. I hardly workout, but I do think that you’re getting an extremely good workout in the 50 minutes you’re in the class. My legs were like jelly, my arms were noodles, and I couldn’t really feel my butt, but I felt better than I had in a long time. Sure, I was sore the next day, but the stretching we did at the end really helped to get me loose, so it was bearable. I think the class is totally worth it and the energy was fun. The next time you’re looking for a quick pick me up, grab a friend, or go solo and give Barre a try! 

Hello, I'm Kasharra Ashworth. I am in my third year at Stephen F. Austin State University as an Elementary Education Major. In my spare time I like to read (I'm a die hard romance fan), listen to music, play The Sims, and do/practice makeup. I am a granddaughter, a daughter, a sister, an aunt and a friend. Family means everything to me. I'm just a girl from a small town who wants to make her mark on this world.