Wellness > Health

An Updated Review of BoxUnion Studios: COVID-19 Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

The first article I wrote for HC Pepperdine was about my favorite gym, BoxUnion in Santa Monica. A lot has changed since then. Gyms in LA County have had to operate differently for nearly a year now due to COVID-19—many fitness studios transferred to an online or outdoor format for their customers. BoxUnion did both during the pandemic and has once again exceeded my expectations. 

BoxUnion Digital is a new online platform full of tons of workouts ranging from boxing to yoga. There are a variety of class lengths and levels so everyone can find the perfect workout for their fitness level. It costs less than $20 a month to access the platform for live and on-demand classes. The affordability and convenience of these workouts really helped me stay fit during quarantine, and I would definitely recommend anyone on a budget and/or with less time on their hands to give it a try!

BoxUnion has also begun outdoor boxing classes in Santa Monica and Sherman Oaks. In Santa Monica, they have socially distanced heavy bag classes that take place in their parking garage. Everyone is required to wear masks, and all equipment is thoroughly sanitized before and after each use. These classes are nearly identical to their old signature classes except with fewer people, and we wear headphones instead of music through a speaker, but we still sweat just as much! In Sherman Oaks, they have outdoor shadow boxing classes on top of their parking garage. It is a beautiful, sunny workout that’s great for working on your form and getting in some HIIT. Classes are $20 each at both studios, but they have awesome memberships, bundles, and student/teacher discounts that make it more affordable!

All in all, BoxUnion is still one of my favorite places to be and helps keep me sane during the crazy times brought on by the pandemic.

Emma Thomasson

Pepperdine '21

Hello! My name is Emma. I am a student at Pepperdine University and I am studying Philosophy with the hopes of obtaining my MFT license after I graduate in 2021. I was born in Houston, Texas, and raised in Waco, Texas. That being said, I am avid supporter of Baylor sports and TexMex! I believe mental health is the most important thing to maintain in college. Some ways that I maintain mine include (but are not limited to) boxing, Disney, and beach days with my friends out here in Malibu!