bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

It’s Heating Up in the Yoga Studio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Friday morning at  9 am you would usually find me in bed, possibly asleep, wishing to be asleep, or on my phone scrolling, but not this week. Instead with a week of January to go, I decided, alongside my friend, to take a morning hot yoga class. 

Photo by bruce mars on Unsplash

Yoga and I have had an on-again-off-again relationship for the better part of my life. I enjoy yoga, but I just never found the rhythm to keep it in my schedule. My hope is that now that I have 3 days without class in my schedule I’ll be able to go to more classes and the first one was something I’ve always wanted to try: Hot Yoga. 

For those of you that are unaware; hot yoga is a type of yoga class during which the studio is heated while the class is practicing. Each studio chooses different temperatures, but my class at Malibu Beach Yoga kept the room at 85 degrees Fahrenheit. 

The class started with breathing exercises, and basic slow movements before increasing in difficulty to include, one leg positions, planks, etc. that make you work your muscles, stretch out, and focus on your core. At the end of the class, it’s all about meditating and letting go of any tension you have which is great no matter what stage of life you’re in and definitely helpful as a college student. 

By the end of the class, my friend and I were sweating, both from the heat and the movements. I expected myself to be a lot more sore after 45 minutes of exercise, especially since I haven’t worked out since the beginning of the fall semester, but thanks to the heat and the instructors insisted stretching, I was feeling great after the class. 

I really enjoyed the class and I’m happy to be going back next week, and fingers crossed the routine sticks this time. 

Of course, because it’s Malibu, a Sunlife was just downstairs so we had to end the outing with a Brazilian Bowl in the sun. 

Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.