neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Little Ways to Take Care of Yourself: A Self-Care Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

As that time of the semester arises (you know what I’m talking about), the time where it feels like there are a million assignments, tests, papers and you have absolutely zero time for yourself, it can totally feel impossible to take care of yourself. Before you know it, you’ve slept only four hours over the course of three days, you’re running solely on overpriced coffee from the on-campus Starbucks, and you’ve (accidentally) gone way too long without a shower. If these scenarios sound familiar, know that you’re not alone. Just about every other college student in the nation relates.

Here are a few little tips to take care of yourself, both mentally and physically:

1. Take a nap

When you’re not sleeping a proper amount (which, let’s face it — what college student actually gets their full eight hours?), it becomes increasingly difficult to succeed and feel like yourself throughout the day. Even if you feel like you can’t afford to take the time out of your busy day, do it anyway. Set your alarm for anywhere from 20-45 minutes, lay down and let your body get the rest it deserves.

2. Do a face mask

It’s basically a proven point that when you take care of your skin, you look like you have your life together. Even though there’s no statistical data for this, we all know it’s true. When you finally head back to your room after a long marathon at the library, throw on a face mask and relax. It only takes around 15 – 20 minutes to complete, and then you can wash it off and go to sleep.

3. Take a long shower

Everyone’s most productive thinking is done in the shower, whether we realize it or not. If you’re stuck with writer’s block or can’t bare to memorize another flash card, give yourself a break and take a long, hot shower. You’re guaranteed to feel so much better when you’re out.

4. Find new music

This may not seem that beneficial, but for music lovers, it could be essential to calming yourself down when you’re stressed about tomorrow’s presentation. Take some time to listen to a brand new album or Spotify playlist. At least now you’ll have a few new songs to listen to when you’re doing work!

5. Go to the gym

I know what you’re thinking — the gym is not relaxing. But this tip actually has some statistical data behind it. You don’t have to go do a crazy hour long workout (especially if you don’t have the time for it), but studies show that for those dealing with anxiety disorders, a 10-minute walk can be just as beneficial as a 45-minute workout. In fact, it’s been discovered that exercise can quickly work to alleviate any form of a depressed mood.

6. Meditate

Full disclosure, meditation is not for everyone and can be admittedly difficult for beginners. But if you’re willing to commit, meditation can be extremely advantageous, especially if you feel like you have a thousand thoughts running through your mind 24/7. It’s been found to reduce stress, increase happiness, and encourage a healthy lifestyle, so what’s not to like? Try downloading an app like Headspace, which aims to help people with guided meditation and mindfulness. Plus the exercises range from 5-10 minutes, so it’s perfect if you’re on a time crunch.

7. Clean your room

This may not sound relaxing whatsoever, but trust me when I say that an organized space will lead to a more organized mind. Absolutely nothing feels better than coming home to a clean room, where you’re able to crash and relax after a long day. If you make your bed and organize the space on your desk, you’ll definitely feel more productive and well-grounded.

8. Treat yourself

Perhaps the most dangerous tip of the list, but I know that treating myself always makes me feel a little bit better when I’m drowning in stress. Allow yourself to do some online shopping, but make sure to keep a budget. You don’t need to add financial troubles to your list of never-ending college student struggles. On the bright side, sites like UNiDAYS exist, where discounts are supplied just for being a college student!

9. Write it out

Journaling might not be everybody’s forte, but it’s another tip that actually has been proven to improve mindfulness, emotional intelligence, and self-confidence. Allot yourself 15 or 20 minutes to just write down everything on your mind. It doesn’t have to be organized or well-written; the point of journaling is to clear your head.

10. Take a deep breath and relax

When you’re completely overwhelmed, sometimes the best thing to do for yourself is to simply take a deep breath and clear your mind. Be mindful of your needs and try to remember not to get so lost in the stress of your assignments. At the end of the day, nothing is more important than your mental and physical health.

Melissa Lee

Oswego '19

CC Melissa is a senior journalism major with a double minor in creative writing and political science at SUNY Oswego. She loves music, makeup, dogs, and napping. 95% of the time she can be found drinking way too much coffee or finding new music on Spotify.
I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!