kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

3 CrossFit ‘WOD’s to Try Next Time You Hit the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

By now, there’s no way that you haven’t heard about CrossFit, the fitness phenomenon founded by Greg Glassman in 2000. It’s the subject of countless jokes – yup, people who do CrossFit really never do stop talking about it – but it also has a cult-like following of people who have noticed prominent positive results from a combination of CrossFit fitness and good nutritional regimens.

My mom has been doing CrossFit for over 10 years, so I have grown up doing these high-intensity workouts, and I am familiar with all of the terminology. The emphasis on variety, intensity and form makes each workout challenging and exciting. And while CrossFit can seem extremely daunting, especially as a busy college student, you don’t have to be a heavy-lifting champ to reap the benefits of a killer WOD – or workout of the day, as the CrossFitters put it.

So, with that in mind, here are a few CrossFit WODs that can be done solo, or with a friend, right in your university gym. Keep in mind that all of these workouts can be modified to fit any level of intensity, and make sure to never compromise good form for speed – especially where weights are involved.

Kelly:

5 rounds for time:

400m run 

30 box jumps

30 wall balls

Helen:

3 rounds for time:

400m run

21 kettlebell swings

12 pull-ups

Boat Race:

3 rounds for time:

500m row

400m run

Rest 3 minutes between rounds

Photos Courtesy of Creative Commons