Wellness

Step by Step: How a Fitness Walking Class Transformed My Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

When I signed up for a fitness walking class for my health and exercise general education requirement this semester, I didn’t think too much of it. Walking as a class? It seemed like such a easy, no-brainer type of class. But, turns out, signing up for that class was one of the best wellness decisions I’ve made.

My fitness walking class was on Mondays and Wednesdays afternoons, giving me a nice break from my other college work and assignments. And luckily, I had a friend in the class, which made my class much more enjoyable. My friend and I would walk and talk about all sorts of things – from what was happening in our lives to our thoughts and just random stuff. It made the class something I looked forward to instead of it just being another required course I had to go through.

As the semester went on, I started feeling better. I was less stressed and could focus more on my studies. Walking a mile or two, especially with a friend, was really good for my mood. Additionally, my walking pace improved significantly. At the beginning of the class, I was walking at a pace of 15:11 minutes per mile. By the end, my pace had improved to 12:58 minutes per mile. In just 8 weeks, I managed to shave off approximately 2 minutes and 13 seconds from my initial pace.

Now that the class has ended midway through the semester (it was only an 8 weeks long course), I realized how important it is to incorporate walking into my lifestyle and the benefits I gained from the class. I noticed I didn’t feel as good on days I didn’t walk. Because of this, I decided to keep walking as part of my routine, even without the class. I want to start walking at least a mile at least twice a week. I’ve found it to be a great stress reliever and just a fun thing to do with friends.

This fitness walking class, which I wasn’t sure about at first, ended up teaching me the importance of being active and spending time with friends. It made me see how a simple thing like walking outside on a trail or inside on a track can really help with my overall well-being and productivity.

Kanika is a writer for Her Campus and is excited to explore the art of writing. This writer was born in Mumbai, India, but she's been in the U.S. almost all her life, except for a few years she spent living in Toronto, Canada. She currently lives in Cary, North Carolina and would love to move to Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, or even back to Toronto post-graduation. Outside of Her Campus, Kanika is an engineering student at NC State University. She is currently in her third year and is majoring in Computer Science and minoring in Business Administration. Her goal is to become a software developer at a tech firm. Through her academic journey, Kanika has completed numerous internships at companies like Fidelity Investments, HP Tech Ventures, and Atticus. She was also selected to compete in a 24-hour Coding Hackathon at JP Morgan Chase & Co in Chicago, Illinois. Currently, Kanika works part-time as a Consultant for a edu-tech startup company and is a Student Brand Ambassador for Fidelity Investments. Some of her favorite things to do would be working out at the gym, playing sports, reading, listening to music, and watching TV shows on Netflix or Hulu. Some of her favorite TV shows are Friends, White Collar, Bridgerton, and Breaking Bad. Her all time favorite music artists are Travis Scott, Tate McRae, and SZA.