This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Ever since I began my relationship with Zoom (I mean, for how long I spend on it, it’s beginning to feel like an old friend) I’ve noticed my body aching as a result of sitting for such long periods of time. I’m sure many can relate, as universities, schools, jobs, and internships have all made a significant transition to online communication. So what better way to alleviate tightness and aches and add a little extra movement into your day than stretching? From ballet to football, stretching is used to lengthen your muscles and support healing after a workout. On top of that, a little stretching every day will promote flexibility in your daily life, the release of tension, and an overall feeling of wellbeing. 

Without further ado, let’s get into 5 great stretches to target the main muscle groups in your body!

Back/Shoulders

After a long day of online classes and homework, I often can feel achiness in my upper shoulders and back. Two great stretches to combat this are the “cat-cow” stretch and “child’s pose”. 

Cat Cow:

Kneel with your knees hip-width apart and your hands (on the ground, so you’re in a table-top position) shoulder-width apart. Then, slowly and with intention, begin to arch your back, tummy sloping down, and your shoulders and bum arching up. At this point, if you’re near a mirror, take a quick moment to give yourself a little up-down cause damn, you’re looking fine! Ok, enough jokes. After you finish the “cow” part of the stretch, slowly arch your back the opposite way, with your shoulders and bum sloping down and your back arching up. Feel free to add extra additions to this stretch for added relief. Personally, I find that rocking my hips side to side helps me settle into the stretch more. 

Child’s Pose:

Begin by kneeling with your knees a little wider than your hip-width position. Then, sit back on your heels as best you can and begin to fold forward, allowing your stomach to rest on your thighs. Stretch your hands forward as best you can and begin to feel a stretch in your shoulders and upper back. You may also notice an added stretch in your glutes and hips – a surprise bonus! To deepen your stretch, press your shoulders and chest towards the floor. 

Hips

Our hips can often become tight when we sit for long periods of time without a ton of physical exercise. A great (and easy) stretch to open your hips is a figure-four stretch. 

Figure-Four Stretch:

Start by lying down on your back. First bend your knee and place your foot flat on the ground. Then cross your opposite foot over your thigh (the one that’s bent). Reach your hands behind your bent thigh and gently pull your leg towards your chest. The figure should resemble a four, but the most important part is feeling the opening stretch in your hip. If you feel discomfort, try releasing the stretch a bit.

Legs

I’ve found that after a long day of sitting in bed, on the couch, or at the table doing homework, my legs can feel tight and achy. While there are hundreds of leg stretches, I’ve found that a simple and quick way to target my tight muscles is with a “down-dog” pose. This pose is commonly found in yoga, barre, and dance, among many other places. It’s a great way to also engage your core and arm muscles, and is attainable to beginners and seasoned pros. 

Down-Dog Pose:

First, start on your knees, hip-width apart. Place your hands in front of your shoulders, fingers pointed forward. Then, begin to lift your hips, keeping your knees bent and heels off the floor. Depending on your flexibility, you may find yourself able to straighten your knees and lower your heels closer to the floor. It’s important to remember to keep your feet facing forward and your head lowered so you don’t strain your neck! Slowly release your hips down and gently lower your knees to the floor. Be sure to take your time getting up, you don’t want to get a head rush!

Hands

While our hands may not always be considered a major muscle group (they aren’t, really) it’s important to give them some extra attention. Typing, writing, and texting can all cause stress to our fingers and wrist, so it’s important to include them when stretching. One quick way to alleviate any tension in your wrist is a “prayer hand” pose. 

Prayer Hand Pose:

First, place your hands, palms together, in a prayer-like position in front of your face. Then, touch your elbows together, so your arms, from the tips of your fingers to your elbows, are connected. Begin to lower your arms, and while you do so stretch your elbows away from each other. Rest your hands (which are still in the prayer position) in front of your belly button, or until you feel a stretch in your wrists.

While there are hundreds of different ways to stretch, I hope you find some relief in the five I’ve outlined for you today. Taking a little time to give your body extra attention is a great form of self-care and will hopefully get you feeling rejuvenated, flexible, and ready to tackle your day!

Charlotte Krause is a senior studying to receive her bachelor’s in the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities at MSU. Her written works range from pieces on popular culture, including film reviews and curated recommendations, to articles about mental health and politics. Charlotte avidly believes that written works have the power to shape and create new lives, worlds, and identities and plans to continue contributing to the global cacophony of written works. Follow me @char_kra on Instagram!
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.