Wellness > Health

How To Have A Healthy Relationship With The Gym Post Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

First of all, the Covid-19 pandemic is by no means over. However, life is slowly but surely getting back to “somewhat normal”. The entire world was turned upside down due to the pandemic. Things that seemed easy to do, like going to buy groceries—now seem like the most annoying and time consuming thing. Even though life is seemingly slowly getting back into “normal routine”, many people still prefer the “easier” ways of doing things like online shopping. Many of us are beginning to feel annoyed when the pandemic has been the hot topic for over two years now! 

So enough about the pandemic—how do we get back into our regular routine? Now, depending on how long it has been since you were seen in a public gym, I am certain your entire workout or wellness routine looks a lot different. Here’s ways to have a healthy mindset and relationship with the gym.  

Find a gym buddy

Post pandemic, everyone fears going back into isolation and quarantine. The gym doesn’t have to be another isolation experience. Having a gym buddy will provide you with that little extra boost of motivation you need to get to the gym, especially on days when you don’t want to go.  

Everyday counts

The key to having a healthy relationship with working out is being consistent. It’s not entirely about working out really hard every single day, but taking a walk on those days you don’t go to the gym or running and attending a yoga class when you need more of a relaxing workout.  

Keep in mind that being consistent also means being kind to yourself. If you need a day off, there is absolutely no shame in taking that time for yourself. Overall, it will improve your workouts in the long run. After all, if you’re not doing what you love, you won’t see results.  

Turn your workout space into a mini-gym!

Now, I don’t actually mean for you to go and spend thousands of dollars on workout equipment. But from a college student point-of-view… improve your workout setting! If your equipment is in a dark basement or in a really tight space, you’re probably not excited to go there. Check out this GOLD gym equipment from Blogilates in Target. Blogilates is a women owned brand that has some seriously aesthetic gym equipment that will enhance your space! Focus on placing motivating messages and images on your walls or place plants around your space to feel closer to nature.  

If working out in the same area or space starts to feel boring, switch it up and change your routine. Working out doesn’t have to feel like a chore, when you establish the right setting for yourself and adjust your space to your needs—you will feel the WANT to do those squats! 

Get the right fit

When ordering a new pair of running shoes, there’s no doubt you’ll feel more motivated to go for a run in them. Find the right pair of leggings and even a matching-set that makes you feel confident and comfortable. This cute matching set from Athleta The Conscious Crop is one of my favorite sets right now! Crop Even if you are working out within the space of your home or apartment, these small upgrades will be major motivators. 

It’s never easy to get into the mood to exercise or go for that long run. If you repeatedly tell yourself how much you hate to do it, you will never change the bad attitude towards working out. So think about it. What is your attitude towards working out like? Love it? Hate it? Go through phases? We are all different and unique. But what’s clear is that our attitude and mindset to exercise makes all the difference.  

Kelly Webb is the Vice President and Content Creator Director of Her Campus at Lynn. Kelly is an international student from South Africa studying Fashion and Retail Management at Lynn University. She holds other leadership positions such as the Recruitment and Social Media Chair of Theta Phi Alpha sorority. Kelly is extremely creative and she loves sharing her passion and interests with others.