rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

You Are Not Alone: Conquering Anxiety and Panic Attacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

By: Maren English

Having a mental illness can feel isolating. Admitting that you have a mental illness can be just as big of a struggle. The good thing is, you are not alone. According to the ADAA (Anxiety and Depression Association of America) about 18% of the population has anxiety. That’s a pretty big number. And even those who don’t, at the most basic level, can understand being nervous. They may not always comprehend the extent to which you experience panic, but, if you let them, they can do their best to support you. Allowing people in to your world can help to make it a little brighter.

A lot of the tips on the Internet about anxiety are more long term. They are good goals, but they do not happen over night. It takes an unimaginable amount of strength to overcome any disorder, and everyone deals with demons in a different way. However, something that can be an immediate help in the midst of a panic attack is change in temperature. As silly as it sounds, standing in front of the fridge with the door open can help to immediately soften your body’s internal freak out. Even chewing gum can have a similar effect because it, for lack of a more scientific phrase, “distracts” the molecules in your mouth.

Having specific things to think about when a panic attack starts can help lessen the blow. Try looking around the room and finding five things you can see. Then, focus on two things you can hear. Lastly, take the time to notice three things you can feel. This helps to assimilate back in to your surroundings, so it does not feel like you are suffocating inside yourself when panic hits.

Anxiety can feel scary, but having little tricks that can be put in to action when you feel an attack coming on will help put yourself, and the people who care about you, more at ease. Taking care of yourself should be a top priority no matter what, and hopefully these tips can become a part of that process.