This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Are you trying to get that spring break beach body or just work off the freshman fifteen and don’t know where to start? Try some of these fun and easy beginner workouts to keep yourself in shape and looking great!

1. Zumba

Zumba is a super fun and easy way to get yourself into working out! Typically structured as an hour of fast-paced dancing that shifts in intensity, it can help strengthen your core and tone your muscles. If you want to take it to a more intense level, Zumba Step programs use weights in the workouts to help build endurance. Classes are often available both around town and with various RSOs.

Unsplash / Bruce Mars

2. Cycling

Whether you prefer taking an indoor cycling class or just biking to class sometimes, cycling can help burn belly fat and improve cardiovascular health. It’s super easy to incorporate into your routine and is super fun with friends!

Girl On Retro Bike
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

3. Yoga

Feeling stressed? Yoga is a great exercise to engage both your mind and body, along with giving you more flexibility (and poses for Instagram shots). It also teaches you breathing and relaxation techniques you can use just about anywhere.

silhouette of woman doing yoga pose
Kike Vega

4. BodyAttack

BodyAttack is an athletics-inspired and high-energy class that combines athletic and strength building exercises for a workout that’ll leave you feeling amazing. It’s great for increasing stamina and toning up your body!

Girl doing push up
Pixabay

5. Intramural Sports

Want to try new things and have fun on a team? Many on-campus intramural sports teams are regularly recruiting new members to play, or you can even form your own team if there isn’t anything that fits your interests yet. Low competition but high fun, intramural sports are a great way to relive your high school sports days or try something new!

Sports Volleyball Hands In
Tiffany Meh / Spoon

6. Kickboxing

Looking for an intense full-body workout that’ll help you release some tension? Try kickboxing! It engages every muscle in your body but especially your core and helps with flexibility, balance, reflexes and coordination.

Dylan Nolte
Dylan Nolte / Unsplash

Mehek Kapur

Illinois '23

I'm a sophomore at the University of Illinois double majoring in English and Organizational Psychology and Vice President/Recruitment Advisor at Delta Kappa Delta.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.