7 Reasons Why Women Should Lift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Working out can seem like a daunting task. We all seem to make excuses whether it be “I don’t have enough time” or “I don’t know what to do.” However, there are SO many benefits from working out, and you don’t have to go through boring, repetitive motions of running on a treadmill or stationary biking. Something that a lot of people don’t know is that lifting is better for you than cardio. While doing both of these exercises are great, the results from weight lifting are insanely good for you. Read these seven reasons below on why you and all your gal pals should hit the gym and start lifting!

1. You will burn more fat.

So, if you’re like most people, cardio seems to be a tedious hassle that we think we have to do for hours to get in shape. BUT, good news. Weight lifting has been proven to burn more fat while working out!

2. You will consistently burn more calories.

Lifting weights increases your resting metabolic rate. This means that while doing your favorite things like binge watching Netflix or lying in bed, you are burning more calories, if you are lifting!

3. You will strengthen your bones.

Each lifting exercise you perform not only strengthens your muscles and tones your body, but it strengthens your bones as well. 

4. You will become a better runner.

Well, even though you may not like running, it doesn’t mean that you don’t want to have the option to be good at it, right? If you lift weights on a weekly basis, you will strengthen your entire body, including your core, which will give you more running support. 

5. You will build mental strength.

Strength training not only builds your body, but your mind as well! By pushing yourself to limits, you grow in all aspects of yourself.

6. You will become more flexible.

Full-range resistance training workouts can greatly improve your flexibility. So, you will be toned, strong and flexible.

7. You will have a healthier heart.

By performing strength training, you can lower your blood pressure by a significant amount. So, you’ll have a healthy heart to go along with your toned bod! 

Clearly, lifting is great for your health and your body. If you don’t know what to do, the answer is simple: Pinterest has awesome workouts for all parts of the body that you want to tone! So, grab a friend, hit the gym, lift some weights and get fit!

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4 | Photo 5

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.