This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Although it has regained immense popularity in recent years, people have been meditating since 1500 BCE. Now with popular apps like Calm and Headspace, this ancient practice has become more accessible than ever for people wishing to quell their busy minds. However, carving out time to meditate and regularly practice mindfulness can be daunting for some. Allow me to put your mind at rest and take you through the very basics of meditation so you’ll be reaping its abundant benefits in no time!

Perhaps the greatest allure of meditation is its profound physical and mental health benefits. Studies have shown that meditating has numerous effects on the nervous system, including lowering blood pressure and heart rate, reducing anxiety and stress, and promoting a deeper sense of relaxation and wellbeing. 

There are also multiple techniques within the world of meditation. Although these various options may seem intimidating at first, they ultimately allow beginners the freedom to find the technique that works best for them. Some of the most common techniques include concentration meditation, mindfulness meditation and moving meditation. Concentration meditation requires that you concentrate on a single item — such as a word, phrase, mantra, or object — for the entirety of your practice. This can be challenging for beginners, as our minds have not usually been trained to focus so narrowly on a single object. 

If the rigidity of concentration meditation is unappealing, mindfulness meditation might suit you better as it permits more mental freedom. Mindfulness meditation allows the individual to sit back and merely observe one’s thoughts without judging or engaging with them. In turn, we can better understand the patterns of our mind and how we process certain thoughts as they come up.

If you don’t like the idea of sitting for long periods of time, moving meditation is another viable alternative. This technique can take many forms, including tai chi, qigong, and walking meditation. Walking meditation is a great option for beginners who are already familiar with a sitting meditation practice or want to try something different. Walking meditation does not mean walking around with your eyes closed, but rather, redirecting your mind and being present in the world around you as you walk. While walking, one might focus their attention on their body’s movement, the sights and sounds nearby, or the rhythm of their steps.

So how can you get started? First off, you need to decide whether you would like to practice a guided or unguided meditation. For beginners, having a soothing voice instructing you through basic meditation techniques can be incredibly helpful and educational. Fortunately, there are numerous free guided meditation resources available, including classes, podcasts, apps and YouTube videos. Some of my personal favorites meditation resources are Headspace, Calm, Yoga with Adriene and the Mason Well-Being Center.

However, if you choose the unguided approach, try to find a suitable place for you to comfortably sit or lie down. Before you begin meditating, be sure to set a timer for anywhere between two to five minutes. If you wish, you can light a candle, put on white noise, or even use a meditation chair or cushion. Close your eyes and breath naturally, focusing your attention on the rise and fall of your chest. Don’t become frustrated if your mind wanders, as this is completely normal. Instead, return to observing your breath and continue meditating for the remainder of your practice.

When you’re first getting started, try meditating two to three minutes every day, and once you have a better understanding of the practice, you can work your way up from there. There is no need to dedicate hours of your day to meditating (unless you truly enjoy it that much!). Meditating as little as five minutes every day can still have an incredible effect on your mental clarity, mood, and overall well-being. 

Whether you choose to fit those five minutes in first thing in the morning, in-between classes or right before bed is entirely up to you, collegiettes!

You can learn more about meditation here.

Marissa Joyce

George Mason University '22

Marissa is currently a senior at George Mason University and serves as Senior Editor of George Mason's Her Campus chapter. At Mason, she is pursuing a double major in English and Communication. When Marissa isn't writing articles, she can be found over-caffeinated, tackling her extensive library of books, or curating her vinyl record collection.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com