kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Why I Love Zumba Class and Think You Should Try It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

I have never been the type of person to get up and jog or go to the gym. My only form of exercise was dancing a few days a week. When my dance teachers became certified Zumba instructors and my studio began to offer classes, I finally tried something new. I mainly take classes at my studio, but I do take some in college now that I’m over six hours away.

I have now been taking Zumba classes for over five years now. I think it’s time to get other young adults in on the action, explain the reasons I love Zumba and inform others about what I have learned from my instructors.

While there are plenty of formal definitions of Zumba, I describe it to friends as an exercise that incorporates repetitive dance moves. It’s supposed to be a way of having some fun while exercising. However, Zumba is more than just dancing. People should understand what exactly Zumba is.

Zumba class is a great way to get in some cardio without running or riding a bike. All Zumba classes I have tried have some fast songs that really get your pulse pumping. There are also slower songs that allow you to breathe and cool down.

Zumba also works out muscles other than the heart and lungs. Many of the songs I have done are filled with squats, lunges, crunches and arm curls. Weights are offered at my studio to get more of a workout (but I haven’t tried them yet).

In most songs, the moves get a bit harder as the routine continues. For example, if you’re squatting, later in the song you may be adding a jump to that squat. This is when following the instructor really comes in handy. None of my instructors have ever forced anyone to do the harder moves if they didn’t feel comfortable, but they do suggest them.

One thing the instructors at my studio have stressed is the importance of doing the moves right. They always make sure we squat with our legs and not just bend over, which would hurt our backs. They also make sure to tell us to really squeeze our core when we do moves that will work on our abs. Doing the moves correctly ensures no injuries and a greater workout.

While Zumba is sort of like dancing, it’s more than that. I think people often think that if they are not dancers then they shouldn’t try Zumba. I hope to debunk the myth that Zumba is only for certain types of people. My friends who are not dancers have tried it and loved it.

The best feeling in the world is when I leave Zumba a sweaty mess. I feel good knowing that I’m doing something that I love. Going to Zumba helps me relieve my stress after a long day, and that makes going even more important to me.

While I can’t force people to try a class, I hope the reasons I love Zumba and what I have learned might influence someone to take a chance and dance.

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest.

Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!