stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Stay Fit without Going to the Gym

It’s 2015 and a new year means a fresh start to achieve all your fitness goals. Some people prefer going to the gym because they have a variety of different fitness machines and weights at their disposal, but going to the gym can be a pain sometimes. With school, work and everything else in between it can be hard to make time to go or perhaps you simply can’t afford it. Gym memberships can be quite expensive, but this shouldn’t keep you away from exercising and achieving your fitness goals. The gym isn’t for everyone and we understand that. But if you are looking to stay fit and sexy this year, don’t worry. There are other ways of getting a good workout without having to use equipment or spend a dime. Here are five ways to stay fit in 2015 without ever stepping foot inside a gym:

1.  Calisthenics

Ever heard of calisthenics? The name sounds funny, but it’s not some crazy method of exercise you’ve never heard of. It has actually been around longer than most of the other types of exercise that exist today. Calisthenics is a form of exercise that consists of using your own body weight as opposed to weights. Pushups, pull-ups, and dips are all perfect examples of calisthenics exercises and they are all just as effective as picking up a pair of dumbbells at the gym. Your body doesn’t know the difference between you using weights or using your own body weight. As long as you put in the time and do the work, your body will reward you with a smoking hot bod.

2. Pilates

Pilates is often confused as being the same as yoga. Although the two share some similarities, the two practices are actually very different. Pilates focuses on core and spine strengthening exercises. Flexibility is also incorporated into these exercises so you get a balanced, full body workout with Pilates. Pilates is a unique and different way of exercising; you’re not running laps around the track or pulling yourself up on a bar, but it doesn’t undermine the intensity of the workout. If you are not exactly sure on h0w to do the movements used in Pilates correctly, you can also watch a video while you do it or read up on it with some magazines or books. There are plenty of resources out there to make sure you get the best Pilates workout at home.

3.  Running

Running is an easy way to get a good cardiovascular workout. What makes running even better is that you can do it almost anywhere at any time of the day. You never have to worry about wanting to go for a run and having the streets or the park be overly crowded. If you’re not really into running you can start off walking or jogging for 20-30 minutes a day until you feel more comfortable with running longer distances. Running doesn’t have to be horrible, it can be a fun way of exercising if you call up one of your friends and go running together. The more the merrier.

4.  Yoga

You have probably heard of yoga as a meditative and relaxing practice, but yoga can also be an intense, calorie-torching workout. The practice of yoga is based on exercises that require a lot of flexibility. Don’t let the name of some of the exercises fool you; yoga will literally work you to the core. Just like running, yoga can be done anywhere and there is no need for equipment except for maybe a mat or a towel if you don’t want to lie directly on the ground. There are different types of yoga exercises based on your fitness level. Anyone from beginners to experts can enjoy and reap the benefits of yoga. Not only is yoga a great form of exercise but it is also a great way to meditate your mind, get in touch with your body and elevate your soul.

5. Dancing

Dancing is great exercise but you don’t often think about it as exercise because you’re having so much fun or are just really into the music. You don’t have to be at a club or at a party to dance either. Anything from salsa, ballet, hip-hop and even belly dancing (among others) are types of dance cardio. Next time you want to get a sweat session in but don’t really feel like running or doing push-ups, consider blasting some of your favorite jams and getting down in the comfort of your own dancefloor—your living room! 

Her Campus at Florida State University.