This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Attention-Deficit Disorder, or ADD, is a lifelong learning disability children are born with and sometimes struggled to control their whole lives. Students with ADD tend to be easily distracted, forgetful, are easily sidetracked and have trouble focusing on the activities they might not find interesting. These are some of the issues college students with ADD have to work through on a daily basis, especially when some of their professors might not use presentations or videos and only gives lectures. They stand the chance of missing important details because there is a part of their brain that cannot help but wander into the clouds which can then result in the student being behind than the rest of the class.

Thankfully, there are methods students can take that will help them become more involved in their academics and succeed in college despite having ADD. By connecting with their college’s Disability Resource Center, doing homework early, creating a calendar, and talking to their professors, students with ADD will be able to have a fantastic college experience!

1. Connect with your college’s Disability Resource Center at the very start of the semester.

The goal of every Disability Resource Center (DRC) is for their students to achieve and become leaders in their communities, whether it is being the founder of an on-campus organization or planning an impactful event. The DRC is meant to help disabled college students have accommodations on exams and assignments, such as extra time or using notes on specific exams, however, that is not all. DRC students are given priority scheduling for on-campus tutoring sessions, they are connected with scholarships, provided with one-on-one consultations, and the DRC creates a smooth communication line between the student and the professor when discussing the accommodations the student is entitled to. Nonetheless, it is best to visit the DRC at the beginning of every semester to turn in all the paperwork which does require at least a week’s time to process.

2. Talk to your professors.

Once those papers are written and turned in to the DRC, speak to the professors and let them know what your accommodations are. Most professors are understanding and would actually go the extra mile by occasionally asking disabled students what they might find as the pros and cons of the class, if they are satisfied with the professor’s teaching pace, or if the student possibly has some ideas about how the professor can make the class a bit simpler for the disabled. For example, professors who mostly lecture can create short informative power points. Sadly, there are professors who may not want to accommodate a disabled student and might flat out refuse. Regardless of what they think, professors are actually required by law to accommodate the student in whatever means the student is entitled to. For instance, ADD students are usually categorized as visual learners and require extra time on tests. A professor can say they do not think a student with ADD would need extra time, however, because there is a law that enforces the professor to accommodate the student, they will then ask for an email from the college’s DRC.

3. Create a group chat with your classmates.

In case you ever miss a class or forgot to take down notes, create a chat with some of your classmates within the first week. This way students can exchange notes, form study groups, and develop social bonds. Through this method, students are learning the basics of networking and can apply these same skills in the future. Students are able to rely on one another and become good friends either by learning they are pursuing the same major, discussing the struggles of college life, or finding common likes and dislikes. Student group chats become especially helpful around  midterms and finals. 

4. Be organized.

Take time out of your busy schedule to organize a personal calendar or planner to keep track of assignment due dates and when the next football game is. Organizing personal items often have a therapeutic effect and can help students with ADD a great deal in the long run. Students have the option of either putting together a beautiful colorful planner or calendar with post-it notes, specially designed tapes, varying pen ink, etc. or simply using the calendar on their phone. Students can set up 30-minute reminders before class, see when the next exam is and ensure they would have accommodations for that specific day, and have the ability to just pull up their schedule whenever they can without rummaging through their bag. Read some of the pros and cons of various calendar types and discover inspiringly creative planners/calendars:

5. Time management.

It is recommended for students, in general, to take classes early in the morning since that is when they are able to focus the most out of the whole day. Create a schedule that works in the mornings and the evenings and try to stick to it, this helps students prioritize their classes and schoolwork over social events and club activities. Procrastination is the enemy and it is better to avoid the urge to wait until the last minute for assignments. Tackling work early and efficiently helps to give students the rest of the week for themselves, study time, and attending on-campus events.

6. Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Studying for exams can be tiring and difficult for students with ADD and having to sit in one spot for long periods of time can be a strain on anyone’s mind. Now there are different ways students can study, however, the best one for students with ADD is taking notes, presentations, or readings and reviewing them over and over again for at least thirty minutes a day. By doing this, students are exercising the brain which will improve focus and functioning skills. It is recommended to practice this right after schoolwork or a sporting event and to study for a test at least one week prior.

7. Focus some of that extra energy into doing something productive.

Students with ADD tend to be energetic and unable to sit still for long periods of time which is why it is better for them to focus some of that pent-up energy by doing something productive, such as being the member or officer of an organization, volunteering at a nearby school or hospital, designing educational events, or exercising with friends at the on-campus gym. These are just some of the ways students can build up their resumes and help give back to the community or relieve stress. This can feel rewarding both mentally and physically and can count as self-care which is essential when doing well in school. After spending time doing a productive activity, it is recommended to study afterwards when your brain is able to take in information. 

Attention-Deficit Disorder, or ADD, is a lifelong learning disability children are born with and sometimes struggled to control their whole lives. Students with ADD tend to be easily distracted, forgetful, are easily sidetracked and have trouble focusing on the activities they might not find interesting. Yet, there are so many ways to tackle ADD and lead a successful college life, thanks to the internet, this information is at your fingertips. Never let ADD stop you from accomplishing your goals and by practicing some of these routines you will find the time to do some fun activities like creating your own organization, interning on or off-campus, learn networking skills, become a more productive and organized person, and become the overall best version of yourself!