woman stretching?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
woman stretching?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration in Canva for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

A Lazy Girl’s Guide to Exercise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Finding the motivation to exercise can be exhausting, to say the least, especially if you haven’t found a workout you absolutely love. Let’s be real, does anyone actually look forward to physical exercise during a hectic, school-packed day? Not necessarily, until you’ve found (what I like to call) your groove. Now, after having found my own, I can’t wait for my daily workouts. Without them, I’ve noticed that I lack an immense amount of energy. I’ve also found that any form of exercise, no matter how quick or simple it may be, gives me a boost of confidence and motivation to go about my day. Yes, this includes a quick, apartment-friendly yoga flow or walk around campus. But where to begin with finding such a beloved mode of physical activity, you may ask?

I’d suggest you start by giving yourself a small amount of time. 10 minutes of exercise isn’t as daunting compared to a whole, hour-long class. Anyone can do anything for 10 easy minutes, right? Along with this time comes variety. You know what works best for you, whether you enjoy high-impact, cardio-based movement, or slow-flow, less strenuous work. Browse YouTube for different videos teaching exercises such as yoga, Pilates, cardio, dance, HIIT, etc. Never get too repetitive with these, or else you’re likely to become bored (again) quickly — trust me, I’ve been there. The simple reason I’ve never been back to Orange Theory, lol.

Plus, you’re bound to find some workouts more entertaining than others! Before trying out these exercises, put on a cute workout set (Target has had really cute, inexpensive ones recently) and turn on your favorite playlist. This is guaranteed to make you more motivated and excited to get moving. I’ve also been going on short outdoor walks every day, which are great for getting outside and getting those steps in. Plus, it’s such a de-stressor in between or after a long day of schoolwork! I’m aware that all of this is easier said than done, but once you get going, you won’t want to stop. Let’s get movin’!

Hi guys! I'm Chelsea Brooks and I'm a freshman at the College of Charleston. I love all things fashion, food, fitness, etc. You're likely to find me at the beach (being the Florida native that I am) or exploring Chucktown with friends. Take a peek into my mind here!