absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Masks Made Straight From Your Kitchen!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With winter brewing and the temperature dropping, it can be hard to go down to your local store to buy beauty masks. So, I’ve compiled a list of masks with ingredients straight from your kitchen, so you can stay cozy and warm, while still getting your beauty fix. Your skin is the largest organ in your body so it’s important to take care of it and nourish it with all natural ingredients (that are free from damaging chemicals). Even switching from a drug store’s chemical-filled body soap to an all-natural soap with wholesome ingredients can make a big difference in your skin. The human body absorbs many of the chemicals that are placed onto the skin, so it’s important to limit the amount of toxins your body is exposed to. Here are toxin-free and beautifying masks bound to make your skin and your life just a little bit brighter:

Under-eye Mask

Ingredients:

• 1 cucumber

• 2 tablespoons of lemon

• 1 green tea bag

• Cotton rounds

Steps:

1. Steep one bag of green tea in hot or boiling water, then let the water cool down.   

2. Place cucumber, lemon, and green tea in a blender until thoroughly mixed to a pulp.

3. Cut cotton rounds in half.

4. Place the cotton rounds in the mixture from step 2 and squeeze the excess juice out from the cotton round.

5. Place cotton rounds under your eyes!!

The great thing about this under-eye mask is that you can make a bunch and put them in the freezer. They’ll last a very long time! Every ingredient has a benefit. The cucumbers are going to target the saggy skin by tightening and soothing the skin. The lemons ease that tired look by lighting the skin. The green tea is preventive; it’s full of anti-oxidants that help reduce signs of aging.

Face Mask

Ingredients:

• ½ Banana

• ½ Avocado

• 1 tablespoon of raw honey

Steps:

1. Blend or mash all the ingredients together to a thin paste.

2. Apply onto the skin.

3. Leave on the skin for about 15 to 20 minutes.

4. Wash off!

This mask is very nourishing and moisturizing. Moisturizing is key in the winter months, given that the cold weather makes our skin dry. Bananas are rich in moisture and potassium that help hydrate and soften the skin immensely. They also help with oil control, acne treatment, anti-aging, and lightening dark spots! The avocado, loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, is going to help moisturize, prevent acne, and reduce signs of aging. Healthy fats help the skin retain elasticity. They also accelerate wound healing so if you have a feisty cat down in Allston who takes care of your mice issue and who also scratches your face, you’re in luck. Then we’ve got the naturally antibacterial honey that’s great for acne treatment, anti-aging and adding a nice glow to your complexion.

Hair Mask

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoon of coconut oil

• 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil

• 2 to 3 drops of peppermint oil

Steps:

• Blend all the ingredients together.

• Apply all over the hair and don’t forget to massage at the scalp!

• Rinse off with warm water.

This mask will leave your hair silky smooth. The invigorating peppermint helps with speeding up hair growth and mending flaky, itchy scalps. This study on the influence of fragrances on human psychophysical activity found that peppermint oil, “reduced fatigue and improved mood and was rated as more pleasant, intense, stimulating, and elating than water.” The coconut and jojoba oil really penetrate the hair to deeply moisturize it.

Body Mask

Ingredients:

• 1 ½ cup of kaolin clay

• 5 drops of lavender essential oil

• 3 tablespoons of coconut oil

• 3 teaspoons of jojoba oil

Steps:

• Blend the kaolin clay, lavender oil, coconut oil, and jojoba oil until it resembles a semi-solid paste.

• Stand in the shower to apply the clay mask all over your body (and face if you want to).

• When the mask dries in a couple minutes, wrap yourself in a towel and relax for around 30 minutes.

• Shower to wash off!

• Apply a moisturizing lotion.

This mask relaxes the body while removing toxins! Kaolin clay is perfect for the winter months because it doesn’t pull the moisture from your skin much like typical clays. Instead, it nourishes and detoxifies your skin. With added oils for added benefits, this body mask works wonders! This mask is especially great to do at night, since the added lavender makes people sleepy.

Lip Mask

Ingredients:

• 1 teaspoon of honey

• 1 teaspoon of coconut oil

Steps:

• Place the coconut oil in the microwave or on a stove top (on low heat) to melt it down.

• Mix the coconut oil with the honey.

• Apply and enjoy!

This mask is great if your lips are beginning to get chapped. Coconut oil is known to boost collagen production which is key for healing chapped lips. The honey, high in antioxidants, helps protect the lips and moisturize them.

I used to spend a ton of money on masks that promised to give me healthier skin or hair. Little did I know, homemade masks are healthier and more affordable! It’s very important to know what you’re putting into your body and you deserve only the best. Use these holistic concoctions to transform your hair and skin in a matter of minutes!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

ielwaw@bu.edu
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.