10 Extremely Random Things to Do that Have Nothing to Do with the Coronavirus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

All anyone is talking about right now about is the coronavirus, and to be honest, I’m getting quite sick of it. Yes, it’s very important to talk about it and to stay informed, but sometimes we all need a mental break from our current reality. Here’s a list of some things to do, make, and watch to take your mind off things. All these ideas just happen to abide by social distancing guidelines to keep you safe and take up a bit of time!

Go for a walk.

Nothing clears your mind like going for a walk. If you don’t want to go alone, grab your dog, a sibling, roommate, or parent. You know how to do this one, so go do it. One rule: no talking about the coronavirus while on the walk.

Clean your room/living space.

Not to sound like your mom or anything, but you probably need to clean your room. And guess what? It happens to be spring right now, so we can just call this ~spring cleaning~. It has nothing to do with being stuck inside. Blast some music on a rainy day and get cleaning, babe.

Give yourself a spa day.

You’re probably long overdue for some pampering. Spend the night in (ha), run a bubble bath, paint your nails, the works.

Plant a little herb garden.

It’s way easier than you think! You can regenerate herbs easily in jars or glasses! All you need is a window. Check out the how-to’s here.

Decant your kitchen.

Decanting just means putting things into other things. For example, putting all of your rice into one jar in one place. It’ll keep you organized and looks so nice!

Get cooking.

Now is a great time to cook something that takes a while. Soup, stock, bread, muffins, you name it, you probably have time to make it.

Purge your closet.

Now is as good of a time than ever to donate all of those random clothes that you haven’t worn in years!

Make a mega playlist.

Literally throw every song you like into one giant playlist. I don’t really have a great reason for why you would do this, but why not???

Learn to sew.

Always a good skill to have, pandemic or not!

Do morning yoga.

Wake up and start your morning (or afternoon, no judgment here) off right! Who cares if you don’t ~technically~ have anything to get ready for.

We’ll all get through this. But in the meantime, take your mind off things and just try to pretend like nothing has changed, even if it’s just for a little while.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Freshman from Milwaukee, Wisconsin studying Journalism. Passionate about animal rights, food, current events, comedy, and (of course) writing!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.