This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

The coronavirus pandemic is a current emotional event to discuss. Every person battled through experiences that are vastly incomparable to another’s. For example, I have friends that moved across the country because they financially struggled from the second great recession. Then, you see other people who proudly announce their new startup on Linkedin from utilizing their free time at home. Everyone’s story is different, and the events that occurred during the pandemic can ultimately change who they are, where their path is taking them, and what their new values are. 

As a student-athlete on the Bentley Swim and Dive team, I went from jumping from practices, club meetings, and spending hours upon hours in the library, to having an empty schedule since there were limitations to activities in the great garden state of New Jersey. Time almost felt endless. The abundance of time caused me to ask myself, why am I struggling to stay in shape? Am I delighted right now?  All of this time was spent sitting in my room experiencing social media’s mental consequences, comparing myself to others who had access to all the facilities I prayed would soon reopen. It was not until I read my screen time report on my phone before bed, I realized that I must stop waiting for a miracle. That was when I knew I must take advantage of this semester to investigate my passions and build up my skills that I longed to have during my hectic school year. 

I want to become a master chef. 

I know that that goal sounds a little ridiculous, but I made a promise to myself that I would cook dinner three times per week since cooking was out of the question at school. I remember telling my mom in March, who was knee-deep in cooking up a mouth-watering meal in the kitchen. She turned around from the instant pot and was beaming with joy. I started as an assistant helper, cutting up simple vegetables for salads. Then, little by little, until I eventually made stuffed salmon, gnocchi, creamy lemon shrimp linguine, without assistance. My most outstanding achievement was spontaneously baking a two-layer cake from scratch at 9 pm, and it was delicious. Whenever I experienced a difficult day, cooking became the outlet for my stress. I would crank up the volume on my TV and laugh at the show, New Girl, on Netflix while I stirred up a delicious meal for my family. Learning the right types of ingredient combinations taught me the most important lesson: how to eat a healthy diet and appreciate cooking as an art. 

I want to run five miles each day.

Running was never something that I considered to try before the pandemic. I would have gagged at the thought of running the absurd amount of five miles. I used to hate the feeling of a dry throat, burning calves, and shin splints after a run. Gyms were closed in New Jersey, and the governor did not reopen those facilities until after I returned to school at the end of August. Since pools were also closed, I realized running was the perfect alternative to maintain my endurance and strength. I started running at Horseshoe Lake in Randolph, New Jersey, five days per week. I started out running two miles, then slowly built to three, then four, and so on. By the end of the summer, I conditioned myself to run five miles each day at an 8:00 pace. In the process, I improved my form to prevent shin splints, and the burning sensation faded as my body built up muscle to run so often. The more I ran, the more my body began to change. I transformed into a brand new and more robust version of myself. 

I want to improve my writing. 

To improve my writing, I decided to make a goal and read at least 30 minutes per day. I took a trip to Target, and purchased the sequel to Girl, Wash Your Face, by Rachel Hollis. This inspiring book changed my life. Girl Stop Apologizing helped me discover what path I wanted to take with my life. I found a passion for reading leadership-type books, which helped me improve my vocabulary and articulate what I want to say in a paper. I wrote four or so articles each week, aiming to enhance my writing skills. I am glad I made a goal to read more because I found myself loving every moment as a writer for the HerCampus club, a community that shares my passion for writing. 

Reflecting on my COVID-19 experiences, I am a completely different person and do not wish anything had happened differently. From improving my diet, strength, and seeing my peers struggle from the disease, I now value my health more than I ever have. After discovering my keen interest in health and fitness, I decided to gain more knowledge and take on a minor in health and industry. In this way, I began taking steps to become a fitness trainer in the future. 

I appreciate that I had a close family to interact with throughout the process. However, I learned from disconnecting with my friends in quarantine that you do not realize what you have until it’s gone. I now frequently check in with my friends and family to make sure they know that I love and care for them. 

Life is too short, and you never know what curveballs are going to be thrown at you. Therefore, you must always put yourself out there and be vulnerable. I believe that it is best to take every opportunity given to you because you never know when your life will hit a pause. 

Hello! My name is Marissa, and I am a senior at Bentley, pursuing a degree in Marketing and a minor in Information Design and Corporate Communication. I am also on the swim team, swimming sprint free. I love writing personal experience articles and reviews on stores and products.
Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!