Wellness > Mental Health

How to Make (and Keep) an Effective New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

New Year’s Resolutions have the reputation that they’re meant to be broken, so why make one in the first place? That’s been my thought process for the past couple of years, but recently I’ve decided to be intentional about my resolutions and decide to succeed. Thanks to the culture of forgetting resolutions, not taking them seriously, and mocking the people we see in the gym on January 1st, it’s no surprise we give up so easily. If you begin something knowing you’re going to fail, and if everyone around you perpetuates the idea that you’re going to fail, your failure is inevitable. That’s why I’ve decided to make an anti-resolution this year. I’m ditching the term “New Year’s Resolution” along with the stigma, and I believe you should too. Here are some tips and tricks to making an anti-resolution that will actually stick.

Think about what caused you the most frustration last year. Was it being disorganized? Was it the fact that you always reach for unhealthy snacks first? Whatever it was, try to think of a specific way to slowly fix that problem this year. Maybe commit to keeping your planner updated or put everything in your room in its place right after using it. Or decide to keep only healthy food in your kitchen so you won’t be tempted to go for the junk food. Find one thing that’s easy to change and commit to making it a habit. 

Set an attainable goal. If you resolve to go to the gym every single day, your likelihood of giving up is pretty high. Instead, settle for a few times a week. You can apply this logic to any resolution, which will set yourself up for success. 

Find an accountability partner. Do you have a friend that wants to stick to her resolution this year? Team up! Encourage each other to go to the gym even when you’re tired, or call each other out when one of you is being negative.

Don’t accept defeat. Did you fail to complete the daily task you resolved to do? That’s totally fine! Give yourself a break, do it tomorrow, and continue progressing at your own pace. It takes a long time to develop a new habit, so be patient!

Ignore the negativity surrounding New Year’s Resolutions. You’re making an anti-resolution, remember? All of those memes about quitting the gym in February don’t apply to you!

Remember why you’re doing this. Keep in mind that this year, you didn’t make a resolution just because that’s what’s expected of you. You’re doing this to be the best version of yourself in 2019 and to maximize your happiness!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Tessa Loftis is a sophomore business management major and French minor at Belmont University. She loves fashion and beauty, but prefers to write about current events and feminist issues. Tessa's passion for social justice drives her to educate others on international injustice, as well as local news. Her favorite TV shows of all time are Parks and Rec and Stranger Things. She loves skincare, especially face masks, and she always buys more lipstick than she can use. Her beauty role models are Margot Robbie and Taylor Swift.