Nourishing from Within: How Following a Mediterranean Diet Will Thank Your Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Rooted in the traditional eating habits of countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea, “The Mediterranean Diet” has garnered attention for its numerous health benefits and holistic approach to nourishment. Let’s explore how embracing this diet can be a heartfelt gesture of gratitude to your body.

Heart Health: At the core of the Mediterranean diet is a focus on heart-healthy fats. Olive oil, a staple in this diet, is rich in monounsaturated fats that have been linked to lower levels of heart disease. Additionally, the consumption of fish, particularly omega-3 fatty acid-rich varieties like salmon, is said to contribute to cardiovascular well-being. Research has proven that this sort of diet is not only good for cardiovascular purposes but also can contribute to weight loss, if paired with an overall healthy lifestyle (Kubala, 2019).

Mood and Brain Function: Scientific studies suggest a connection between the Mediterranean diet and improved mental health. The inclusion of omega-3 fatty acids, found in fish, as well as the abundance of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, may contribute to a lower risk of depression and better cognitive function. This type of diet can make one more alert as well as improve attention span and concentration. Moreover, a study executed in 2021 by the Geriatrics Society uncovered that individuals who incorporated the mediterranean diet in their day to day lifestyles, could coontribute to a 75% reduction in risk for dementia (Charisis et al., 2021).

Balanced Approach to Protein: Unlike many protein-centric diets, the Mediterranean diet embraces a variety of protein sources, including legumes, nuts, and lean meats. This balance not only provides essential amino acids for muscle health, hair health, nail health and skin health but also supports sustainable energy levels throughout the day. It offers a great variety for gym enthusiasts who need high amounts of protein to gain muscle or stay lean. 

Gut Health and Fiber: The mediterranean diet is naturally high in fiber, thanks to whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. This fiber content promotes a healthy gut microbiome, aiding digestion and contributing to a strong immune system. This is significant in order to maintain your bowel health, lower cholesterol levels, and help regulate blood sugar levels. Many different cuisines lack in fiber which is a  essential type of carbohydrate, but is a crucial element of this diet. 

Moderation and Pleasure in Eating: A key belief of the Mediterranean lifestyle is enjoying meals with family and friends. This emphasis on social dining and mindful eating fosters a healthy relationship with food, encouraging individuals to appreciate the quality and taste of each ingredient. This diet also has loads of variation with plenty full of substitutions for those with certain diet restrictions. 

In a world where nutritional advice often feels overwhelming, the simplicity and effectiveness of the Mediterranean diet offers a refreshing perspective. By embracing this approach to eating, you are not just nourishing your body with wholesome, flavorful foods, but you are also expressing gratitude to your body for its resilience and well-being. 

Sources:

Charisis, Sokratis, et al. “Mediterranean Diet and Risk for Dementia and Cognitive Decline in a Mediterranean Population.” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 16 Mar. 2021, https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.17072.

Link, Rachael. “ Mediterranean Diet Review: Does It Work for Weight Loss?” Healthline,
Healthline Media, 26 Nov. 2019,www.healthline.com/nutrition/meditteranean-diet-review.

Janki Rabadiya is a junior editorwriter at the Her Campus at York University. She loves expressing her thoughts, opinions, and feelings through writing. In addition to her editorial pursuits, Janki is a dedicated third-year student majoring in kinesiology and health sciences, demonstrating her commitment to understanding the human body and promoting wellness. Janki's enthusiasm for education and innovation extends beyond her campus roles. As a part-time robotics coach for youngsters aged 7-14, she delves into the realm of STEM education, igniting the spark of curiosity and creativity in the young minds she mentors. In her free time, she enjoys hiking, drawing, and trying new food/coffee shops with her friends and family. She also loves trying new challenging work-outs and part taking in competitive sports such as volleyball and basketball.